Friday, August 29, 2008

School Days!

Oldest Boy really seems to be enjoying school. It was touch and go at first, but I think he's going to be just fine. Yesterday, for the first time, he got into the space shuttle all excited and couldn't wait to tell me about his trip to the library. He got a book! About astronauts! And they have books! About Star Wars! But they're for older kids (he thinks they're called "chapter books"). And next week! He gets to get another book! (all of this was spoken at approximately the speed of light).

Star Wars is one of his favorite things. Period. To talk about. To watch. To build legos of. To dress up as. Etc. Etc. We even bought a Jango Fett costume for halloween ($65!), but we'll get our money's worth because they dress up every.single.time.it.rains. Literally. As soon as the first rain drop hits the window I hear, "Time for costumes!" When he tried it on and it was a little big he said, "That's OK. I can wear it for longer that way." Costumes are not a one-time affair at our place. Halloween just means they get candy for doing it.

And, because it's Friday, it's time for our quote of the week. I have to say, this one we are not proud of, but here it is:

I want to preface this by saying Youngest Boy is at the stage where he asks what everything is. Even stuff he already knows and understands. Everything!

I was singing the B-I-B-L-E song to Baby Girl (you sometimes - OK always - have to sing to get her to finish her breakfast)...
Youngest Boy: "What does that spell?"
Mommy: "Bible."
Youngest Boy: "What's Bible?"
Mommy: "It's the word of God. It teaches how to be a Christian."
Youngest Boy: "What's a Christian?"
Mommy: "Someone who believes in Jesus Christ." - over-simplified, I know, but he's 3!
Youngest Boy: "What's Jesus Christ?"
Oldest Boy: "That's Jesus! You know, Jesus Christ is Jesus and God is God dammit, right Mommy?"
Mommy: "Where's your father!"

I immediately said a prayer that he would NOT explain this to his Kindergarten teacher in his new Catholic school! Oy!

No comments: