Monday, August 11, 2008

Cake Decorating 101

After I became The Mommy, something strange happened. No, I'm not talking about peeing when I sneeze. I discovered that I actually like to cook! I've always enjoyed baking (this is my form of stress release - if Mr. MOTH comes home and finds cookies, he almost immediately asks me what's wrong), but now I also like to cook! It used to be that I would just cook so that I could eat but it's more than that now. I think I've transferred my scientific abilities to the cooking realm. I take a recipe and slowly make it mine. I make notes about all of the variables that I change (being careful to never change more than one at time - in true scientific nature).

However, this means that, until I feel a recipe has been perfected, it's never the same twice. This drives some people nuts, but I like the variety. Sometimes it's better. Sometimes not. But overall, I don't really care much about the presentation of the food. If it tastes good, it's a winner. If it doesn't look good, well, that's OK. That being said, I tried to make my mom a "fancy" birthday cake yesterday. The boys love to help me with baking and decorating, so technically I could blame the finished product on them. It's supposed to be a sand castle. The fact that I have to tell you what it's supposed to be before you actually see the picture should tell you the outcome. Oldest Boy said, "It doesn't exactly look like the one in the magazine..." But it was delicious!


*************************
Note to George Lucas: If you're looking for an actor to play a young Obi-Wan Kenobi, I've found your man...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny . . . I feel the same way about cooking and baking! I love to bake, and because the kids are getting old enough to understand birthday celebrations, I have started going all out on their cakes - I made Cooper a caterpillar cake for his 3rd birthday. I have seen the castle cake in several magazine and clipped it to try - glad it got a good review!

Burgh Baby said...

Yeah, um, I'm glad you said it doesn't look like a castle, because it doesn't look like a castle. Definitely blame it on the kids!