Oldest Boy had an eye appointment yesterday and we were all expecting to come home with glasses. Mr. MOTH and I are both extremely near-sighted and it will not be a surprise when all of our children need corrective lenses. Last year, he was just slightly near-sighted and the doc (who I just love!) recommended waiting until he was in school before saddling him with glasses. His words were, "If it was you, I would give you glasses for driving, but because I don't expect him to be driving anywhere, we'll wait."
This year, his vision is roughly the same and his astigmatism has disappeared (can that happen?), so NO GLASSES! WOOHOO! I got my glasses at age 4 and Mr. MOTH got his in second grade, so we're both happy he won't have to worry about it. Yet.
Now, when I need to take one child somewhere in the evening, we usually meet Mr. MOTH at the location and switch off vehicles and children. This means that he takes the space shuttle (our minivan) and the extra children and I take his New! Shiny! VW. This makes me eternally happy because I don't have to listen to Elmo's world the entire time I'm driving. And because I don't bring any children's CD's either, I get to listen to grown-up music. Aaaahhh. Nice.
As an added bonus yesterday, the funniest thing ever happened. Oldest Boy is riding in his booster seat on the passenger side, back seat. He pushed the window button (I'm sure just to see what would happen) and it scared the beejezies out of him! We were driving 72, uh, I mean 65 mph so the sound alone freaked him out. But then he sort of giggled and put it down again. Peals of laughter. So I locked the windows. He says, "Sorry, Mummy, I think I broke it!" The wheels start turning and I decide to mess with him a little bit. He's not touching anything and I put his window down. Screaming with laughter! Actually bent over holding his belly! The window goes back up and I start to worry that he's going to pee his pants! I do this a couple more times with the same results. Then I get creative and put the window on the other side down. He is hysterical with laughter! It's a 40 minute drive home and he is belly-laughing the whole way! I was so worried about this appointment and it ended up being one of the best times I've had with him in a long time. I'm glad, because in less than two weeks he goes off to school and my times alone with him will be fewer and further between. {SIGH}
And if you didn't see the humor in this story, you're not alone. I think you had to be there...
2 comments:
I can just picture it, and that is too stinkin' funny! I love putting the windows up and down when the kids are with me. They also laugh hysterically when we play peek-a-boo in the rearview mirror. So glad it was a good afternoon and that he has been spared the glasses (both of my kids are going to be screwed in that department.)
Thank you so much for your comment yesterday in regards to physical fitness. You hit on something that I have been thinking about for awhile but that I am afraid to mention in the discussion about having another baby - getting my body back - again. The first time was easy (relatively), the second time took a little longer, but I got there, the third time I had only gained half of what I gained each of the previous two times, and because grief zaps your appetite, losing that didn't take too long. I want desperately to have a 3rd (4th) child, but am having a hard time wanting to put my body through all of that and back. I am rambling, but I just wanted to say thank you for acknowledging it!
Post a Comment