Saturday, November 7, 2009

Sooooo Close

The basement. The bane of Mr. MOTH's existence. And mine, for that matter. For the last two and a half years I've spent 95% of my time doing the childcare/housework solo while Mr. MOTH has been working his hiney off to finish the basement. And we are THIS CLOSE to being finished. The walls are finished and painted. The trim is up and painted. The carpet is installed (after two tries). The banisters are currently being carefully stained and varnished by my husband and once those are up we should be able to start moving things down.

I'm not sure if I've totally covered what will be moved once this "project of epic proportions" is complete, so I'm going to document it now:

When we built our home, we had a room loaded with electronic upgrades with the intent of using that room as our home office/computer room. Well, plans changed and my MIL moved in with us the weekend after we moved in. She was unable to manage the steps on a daily basis, so we made that room "her" room and converted one of the upstairs bedrooms into the computer room. After she moved out, it was simpler to move all of the stored crap into that room than to make any other switeroos at that time. So, once the basement is complete, the "storage" room will all be emptied out and moved down there.

The "dining room" is currently the kids' playroom. At first glance, it looks like our kids have a shitload of toys. And they do, but ALL of their toys (with the exception of some legos and baby toys) are in that room. This will all be moved down there once it is finished.

The computer room which is currently upstairs will be moved into the first-floor office area (which had been my MIL's room).

This will free up the computer room to become Baby Girl's room.

Baby Girl is currently in the nursery, which will then become the Little One's room. She's sleeping in our room in her own crib right now.

I can't wait. I can't wait. I can't wait. Unfortunately, moving all of this stuff not only requires time and effort, but money. We'll need more filing/storage for the computer room; furniture for Baby Girl's room (because I will NOT be moving her into a plain ole white room - she's my first princess and she's getting a purple room. SO THERE!). And the dining room, well, that won't really be an actual dining room for at least a few more years because Mr. MOTH and I? Do not have cheap taste.


The only room that doesn't require changes is the nursery. It's meant to be for a baby and that's what Little One is. Although there's a good chance by the time we actually move her into that room, she'll be a preschooler! Oy!

And all I keep thinking is that I'm going to have more space that I have to clean. Does that make me a pessimist?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like it is going to be amazing when everything is done! I can only imagine how anxious you are to get it all taken care of - I would be nuts!

(And my girls have a lavender room!)

Beth P. said...

That is a whole lot of moving around but sounds wonderful! I bet you will be so relieved and happy when it is all done! I love the purple princess room, I'd feel the same way about moving my kids into their own rooms - it needs to be done right!