Sunday, November 15, 2009

6 Months

6 Months. Half of a year. Little One, I can't believe that you've already been here for six months. I also can't believe that it has only been six months.

You are an amazing little bundle of joy. I just love the way that your laugh comes straight from your belly now. You think that sneezing is maybe the most hilarious thing that you've ever seen - even if it's a fake Ah-Choo! That grin still makes me smile. What Joy!
You can sit up all on your own now and I have a feeling you will be able to get yourself into that position before too much longer. Rolling is a piece of cake and you will sometimes roll your little self across the entire floor! You love the exersaucer and will play for quite a while in it, standing and "balancing" most of the time. I would bet that you will mostly skip over the whole crawling thing and skip straight to walking, much like your older brother, Youngest Boy, did. And speaking of your brother...
You love watching your siblings - all of them - but you are completely and utterly infatuated with your brother, Youngest Boy. The way your whole little body practically vibrates when he plays with you is amazing. He is sometimes the only one who can bring you back from the brink of crankyland. And I have to say, the feeling is mutual. He thinks you hold the stars, Little One. The boys better watch out - they're going to have a tough time getting past him!
You are a little cuddle bug these days. You fight sleep for as long as possible when the others are around, but as soon as I walk away from the chaos into a quiet place - usually near your crib - you snuggle right in, grab a handful of my hair, and start "singing" yourself to sleep. ::melt::
You are finally willing to let Daddy spend more than 15 seconds holding you without searching for me. He is more than thrilled by this new development. He gladly gives you a bottle before bed and you have even fallen asleep in his arms more than once!
Speaking of bedtime, you are slowly developing a routine of your own. Cereal has become a mainstay. And if you're awake after the others have had their books and prayertime, we settle onto the bed to read your books. You don't seem to mind which one as long as you get to taste it once or twice. My favorite (by far) is the one called On the Day You Were Born by Debra Frasier. It was a gift from Aunt Chris and your cousin Jill and it's a very nice little story. But the end, oh, the end. It makes me cry every.single.time. The very last line says, "And as they held you close they whispered into your open, curving ear, 'We are so glad you've come!'" It makes me cry because that is exactly what I said to you - over and over - on the day you were born. I get chills when I read it. Truer words have never been written. I am. So glad. You have come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is so sweet! How awesome that she already has such a great relationship with her brother - I hope that it continues and thrives as they get older.

(And I know what you mean . . . I can't believe it has been 6 months, but at the same time, it feels like Briar has been a part of our family forever.)

Rocket Ma'am said...

This is the best age...They can't talk back, they aren't really mobile, they can actually entertain themselves for 15 minutes or so...
And my youngest took more than twice as long to sleep through the night. Must be a last baby thing.