I am the oldest child in my family making me the first grandchild on both sides. My grandmother was only 42 when I was born so I can clearly remember her 50th birthday party. Her birthday was in late August and while I may not remember every detail, I can remember one thing very, very vividly. Someone - actually, I'm pretty sure it was a group of "someone's" - gave her a $100 bill. In 1980, that was a lot more money than it is today. It was a BIG DEAL. The party-goers (mostly family and close friends) all teased her about how she would spend it. It was to be used for whatever she wanted.
*******
I've worn glasses since I was 4 years old. It's pretty typical for a near-sighted child to have a prescription change every year. The year I was 8 I failed the vision test given at the start of the new school year (again) and had to get new glasses. My grandma was always with us when we went some place like that. Often, she was the only one who took me (by this time my mom had two other kids, too). And, because my parents really couldn't afford, well, much, she paid for "extra" things as well. This was always appreciated but this year was different. When she paid for my glasses, she used a $100 bill. Like I said, those weren't just floating around in our family. I knew where that had come from. I knew what she was supposed to use it for - whatever she wanted. When I asked her she said, "This is what I want to spend it on." I will never forget that feeling. Gratitude and awe that someone would do that - for me.
********
Tonight, my Oldest Boy ordered glasses for the first time. They were pricey, but I didn't think they were ridiculous, given that mine had cost $100 almost 30 years ago. So when Mr. MOTH made a fuss about the cost, I may have lost my mind. I hope he understands. I just want my kids to have what they need. I don't want them to think that they are costing us money because of some kind of imperfection. Wearing glasses in first grade is hard enough. Feeling guilty about it is awful. I know.
1 comment:
Oh grandma...I hope she's around to read this!
Post a Comment