Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Opinions Are Like...well, you know the saying

I try not to give out a lot of advice to new moms (unless specifically asked), but the one thing that I tell all of them is this: "You don't have to take advice from a-n-y-o-n-e. Not your mother. Not your mother-in-law. Not even your pediatrician. It is YOUR baby and only you can know what's right for both of you"* Because everyone has an opinion when it comes to raising a child. And everyone thinks that their way is right.

There's the little old lady at the grocery store who tried to tell me that I should always pick up something for the kids so that if they misbehave I can take it away. Um, no.


There are well-meaning relatives who think that a child should never cry. Um, no. Giving in to a temper tantrum just shows the child that the best way to get what you want is to pitch a fit. And results in living with a tiny tyrant.



There's my pediatrician who tried to tell me to NOT hold a "fussy" baby - they just want comfort. Um, no. If my infant wants to be held, that's my JOB. Sometimes I just want to be held for comfort, too.



Every mom wants some kind of guarantee that the choices and decisions we're making are right. Sometimes they are. Sometimes they aren't. But God chose ME - not the little old lady or my peditrician, or any one else - but ME to mother these children. They are MY gift from above. I sometimes lose sight of that and wish that someone would remind me that I'm doing the best that I can. Even if NO ONE else agrees. I had to find a way to remind MYSELF of that:


That's right, I bought myself a coffee mug. It's how I start every day anyhow, may as well make it positive! It says, "You are the best mother in the universe" While I may not agree with that entirely I am the best mother for my children. Screw anyone who thinks otherwise!

*the only other person whose advice you do have to consider is your husband (or father of your children if you're not married). Sometimes they know what they're talking about, too! :)

No comments: