Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Running Dork

I am such a dork! Guess what came in the mail yesterday? Look:


My race packet! My very first one!! I was so excited I danced a jig back from the mailbox (and probably impressed the teenage neighbor girl with my amazing footwork)!! I know it probably doesn't seem like it should be a big deal, but it is to me. I think it's because for the first time since I quit working outside the home I will be completing something that is measurable. Something that I can take and improve on (if I survive). Raising kids is very hard work...that is not exactly quantifiable. No one says, "OK, to receive a promotion or a raise you'll need to make these improvements..." Nope. I get promoted by having another baby (which means I've reached my full potential).


And then! THEN! As if receiving the packet in the mail wasn't enough, Mr. MOTH confirmed that he was going to be there cheering me on! This was a shocker because, even though it IS Mother's Day it is also HIS birthday and he isn't exactly keen on the idea of having to be up before dawn to get me to the start line on time. Oh, and having to keep tabs on 4 kids might be adding to his angst. But he started asking me about it yesterday like it was just ASSUMED he was going to be there for me! WOOT! I think my mom is also coming to help out with the kids...(right, Mom?)

And - in totally unrelated fashion - here is a photo from Easter:
And one more because every time I look at this I smile:


So, can anyone tell me proper race etiquette? Do I shove my way to the front? Do I shower before I go? Granny panties or thongs? Toss me a line, here, folks...

3 comments:

beanski said...

Good luck! I think it's awesome that you're doing it.

I don't run unless I'm being chased so I can't give you any advice. I hope it's nothing but fun!

Unknown said...

That is great that you are doing that. I thin the proper race etiquette is a thong... work OVER the granny panties. Let us know how that goes. :)

Jodie (www.allgoodinmommyhood.com) said...

Wow - love that Mr MOTH is cheering you on! It's very special and you'll feel awesome crossing the finish line!

Race etiquette? Wear whatever you are racing in to the race. A tee, shorts, etc. Pin your number on front and you're good to go!!

Serious runners will be at the front of the start line, I hang in the middle of the "mob". The first mile or so may be a person dodging run....but then you will hit your stride. So excited for you! xo
You'll do great!!!