Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Occupational Hazard

There are a lot of benefits of being the oldest child. I am the oldest of 4 and I know - without a doubt - that there are more photos of me than of all of my siblings combined. You are always the first to do everything. You rarely have to wear hand-me-downs (OK, this one didn't apply to me because we were poor). Your every move is documented - each milestone painstakingly recorded for all generations to come.

But, of course, there are some downsides to being the Oldest. You have to be the first one with "responsibilities". You sometimes have to look out for the younger children. And sometimes, well, sometimes your younger brother sneezes the biggest booger you've ever seen right onto your school pants 0.3 seconds before you have to leave. Oh, yes. He did. It was so bad that Oldest Boy was gagging so much that it actually made ME gag. Oy, vey! And you have no idea how much I wish I had thought to take a photo...

2 comments:

jodie (ww.allgoodinmommyhood.com) said...

Oh the joys of siblings! I am the middle in a family with six kids...and all i can say is I think when the dust settles big families rock! Crazier, more chaotic, but so many memories, inside jokes and so much love!

BTW - thank goodness you read through my recipe today...I skipped right over the 2 cups brown sugar when I posted it! Whoops! I did a quick edit...thanks!

Rocket Ma'am said...

I have to add a big disadvantage of being the oldest is you often watch your younger siblings get to do things years before you were allowed to- like particular movies, drink soda. And lots of times you don't get to do things like go camping because it's a big pain with little ones. But then, sometimes you get to do things before your parents realize the trouble it causes and then they get banned. Hence I was in the marching band in HS, but my parents said hell no to my sister.