Today I ran for the very first time in my life OUTSIDE. It was, actually, a lot more enjoyable than what I anticipated. Part of that was probably due to the fact that Mother Nature granted my request and I ran without rain/snow/freezing temps (although it ain't like 37 degrees is balmy).
A few things that I hadn't anticipated:
Dead animals. There were two hit-and-run raccoons along my 2.5 mile path this morning. I'll just say a couple things about that. First, thank God they were dead because I almost stepped on the first one. Second, thank God the temp wasn't balmy or I'm sure the smell would have ended my run at the first critter.
Downhill. I have only ever run on the treadmill and I always run at a decent incline (4.0 or greater). This would mean that I have never experienced the thrill of running faster without effort. Also? I don't think I have brakes. If I do, I've never used them. My brakes are most likely a face-plant into the pavement and I haven't tried them. Yet.
Condoms. I know I live in a college town but when I came across one of these little gems I was less-than-thrilled. But very thankful that I didn't throw-up (again, my run would have ended then and there).
Wind. I run on the 'mill with the fan blowing in my face to give the illusion that I'm actually going somewhere. Outside, this isn't an illusion. And it's not always in my face. WOOT!
To sum it up, I may be hooked. I have always, always loved being outside and this morning was no exception. I don't like being cold. I don't like being soaking wet. But I love being outside. I ran without tunes today because I was skerred. My cyber-running-coach (my good friend's husband "R" who is currently stationed in Hawaii) will be so proud. Now if I can just convince Mr. MOTH to let me try again tomorrow...
3 comments:
That ALMOST made me want to go running. I HATE the monotony of it. If I were to get points or checkpoints or coins for it... I would play 6 straight hours of ANY sport (minus water sports) before I would choose run for an hour. So your account was one that I will continue to enjoy reading about.... from the comforts of my home.
This post mady me smile a huge smile for you! I am so proud of you for doing this and so happy that you had such a good experience being outside! I hope the weather gets warmer and that Mr. MOTH lets you get your time in!
Go girl!
Some of us only run when we are being chased but I'm all for it for other people :)
Post a Comment