**Special Note: Obviously, I'm going to have to do some re-naming of my children's "code names" because, alas, Baby Girl is no longer the baby girl. I'll let you know when I come up with something clever...which could be awhile given my sleep-deprived state!
The baby was discharged on Sunday, the 17th with the advice of the hospital's pediatrician that she be seen by our ped on Monday or Tuesday. She was jaundiced and had lost enough weight that he wanted her monitored (from 7# 8 oz to 7# 1 oz). We scheduled the standard check-up and Mr. MOTH and I both took her while my mom watched the others (Oldest Boy was in school). She weighed even less (6# 13 oz) and was definitely still yellow, so we began supplementing with formula every third feeding and we're going back this Tuesday for another follow-up to check her weight and color. In the meantime, she's been eating normally, she's active and I've been taking her out in the sunshine as much as possible - so all in all I'm not concerned.
But. Let me just say, I really, really like our pediatrician. She's very competent. She doesn't hesitate to have the slightest thing thoroughly checked with lab work or a trip to the ER if she thinks it's warranted. She's the only doctor there and she doesn't even have a nurse - which means when I call her emergency number it's really her cell phone and I ALWAYS get to talk directly to her. Sweet.
Sometimes, though, she gives us advice that I pretty much toss right out the window. She says Mylicon gas drops don't work. BWAHAHAHAHA! We think every baby should be born with a bottle of them in their hand because for us? Magic! Same with baby orajel. When we were there on Tuesday, I could have kicked Mr. MOTH for mentioning this because I KNEW what she was going to say, but the baby would only sleep while I was holding her. This means for the first four days I was sleeping roughly 8 minutes at a stretch. Our ped said, "Well, then, that's clearly a behavioral issue and you need to just put her down and let her cry." WTF?!?! And again, WTF?!?! I knew there was no way in hell I was going to do this. I mean, seriously, behavioral? She's four.freakin'.days.old people!! There was NO WAY that I was going to let her cry for more than a few minutes (like maybe while I finished washing my hands or something). NO WAY! Again, it didn't really bother me at the time because I knew I was going to ignore her. I'd rather be sleepless than teach our sweet baby that she was just going to have to toughen up at FOUR.FREAKIN'.DAYS.OLD!! But? New moms aren't always willing to trust their instincts over the doctor's advice. I have a very close friend who bought into this. Her husband once said to me, "Well, you can't rock them forever!" Their son was two months old at the time :( I know that right now it might be driving me to (want to) drink, but you only get this time - this time when YOU are their favorite comfort and the only one who can always make it better - for a fleeting moment. It goes by in an absolute BLINK. This is my baby. My last baby. I'll hold her tightly for just a little bit longer, thankyouverymuch. My advice to other moms? Do the same. Make sure you have absolutely no regrets.
4 comments:
I agree. There're new studies that say you cannot spoil a baby in the first 3 months of their life, and it's considered "the fourth trimester." Basically, it's how they are learning to acclimate from their nice cozy womb to the harsh real world.
For the first 2 1/2 weeks of Alex's life, he would only sleep on our chests. He's now grown out of it, and sleeps through the night (has been for 6 weeks now, and he's only 12 weeks old). Of course, I also swaddle with the Miracle Blanket, which I also think helps!
Besides - this is your 4th kid, I would think by now you know what you're doing! :-)
Amen, sista! Briar dropped to 6 pounds, 13 ounces after birth, and the home health nurse told me to start pumping and supplementing . . . my milk hadn't even come in yet! And don't get me started on the vicious cycle that would have been started with latch issues, supply issues (because my kids are WAY more efficient than the pump), etc. She is now up to 8 pounds, 1 ounce and is FINE. And by the experts standards, I am spoiling the crap out of her!
ACK! I missed it! So sorry that I suck like that.
CONGRATULATIONS!
I hope the jaundice chills out soon.
And that doc? Pshaw. Whatever. I'm with you all the way. You only get so long to hold them, so you gotta do it while you can.
HAHAHA! I'm glad you tossed that advice right out the window. I carried Mack for the better part of the first YEAR of his life. That's just the way he was. That's where he was happy. I had a really nice left bicep from holding him (oh yes, he HATED those baby snuggly, wrappy, front carrier things).
I agree with Amber... she's just getting used to this really loud, bright, obnoxious world and I'd want to be held, too.
Post a Comment