Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Baby Update

*Still working on "names" for the kids. For now, just bear with me.


The baby (for the record, I hate it when people call her the "baby". I spent 9 months coming up with her name. USE IT!) had her follow up doctor's appointment yesterday morning. She's up to 7# 3 oz (from 6# 13 oz just one week earlier)! Woohoo! The jaundice seems to be better so she didn't send us for any blood work. Woohoo! I can continue to supplement with formula for another week if I want to or I can stop; she left that up to me. I will most likely continue to offer a bottle before "bedtime" every night for two reasons: 1) She tends to sleep a little bit longer with a stuffed belly and 2) I really don't want a repeat of her older sister who refused to be weaned and wouldn't even consider having a bottle, thankyouverymuch.

I also ran a TON of errands yesterday. I can't believe what a difference there is between having your first baby and your fourth (4!). I was much more relaxed carting my newborn daughter around than I would have been with Oldest Boy when he was a newborn. We went to Target, the fabric store and Babies R Us. It's insane how much STUFF a baby "needs". Also, it's insane how much STUFF I have, uh, "misplaced" over the last few years.

Speaking of STUFF, I am gleefully (yes, I said gleefully) packing up all of my maternity clothes. Woohoo! I am makin' a list, checkin' it twice and shipping it off to charity. It's so hard to explain, but I feel like we can finally make plans for the rest of our life. It's difficult to make plans when you don't know if/when you'll be pregnant or how old the "baby" will be if you plan to do something. Is any of that making sense? Even planning a vacation or to take a class or, well, ANYTHING is difficult when there are a lot of unknowns. Now that we're done with the child-bearing years, we can truly, totally, 100% focus on the child-rearing years. I'm so excited!

6 comments:

me said...

Oh my, she's adorable!

Also, I hated when anyone called our son "the baby," too! Before he was born the youngest cousin was called "the baby" until she was 10 years old! He has a name, people!

Anonymous said...

YES, YES, YES! On ALL of it! As much as I have enjoyed (and I use that term extremely loosly) the childbearing years, I am truly looking forward to the years to come, and being able to have a little more freedom in the way of scheduling. And wardrobe . . . I am not a clothes person by any means, but I am excited at the prospect of wearing something with a little style someday soon!

And Little O. (Little G.? Did I mix that up?) is just gorgeous!

Burgh Baby said...

Yay! So glad she's doing better!

Y'know, nobody ever referred to Alexis as "the baby." I wonder why that is . . .

Amber said...

Is it bad that my husband and I refer to Alex as "the boy" sometimes? Somehow I think it's a crossover from calling the dogs code names so they don't pick up that we're talking about them.

Any way, BG#2 (baby girl #2) is adorable!

Chris in NY said...

I have 4 kids and sometimes I can't be bothered to remember their names (what with my dying brain cells and all), so they get designated by their birth order....

"Honey, Number Three is in the bathroom and needs her butt wiped. I'm busy putting a band-aid on Number Four cuz she fell off the back stoop when Number One failed to help her down the stairs. And can you please tell Number Two to STOP bouncing the ball off the back door?!"

Anonymous said...

Oh, how sweet is she!?!

I completely and TOTALLY get the part about being done making babies and just wanting to forge ahead raising them. It's a different mind set altogether.