For the love of all that is holy, somebody please tell me what to do! At my doctor's appointment yesterday the nurse practitioner (the doc was at a conference. Or something) put me "on the schedule" to be induced on May 15th. I've been induced before but every time I'm slightly psychotic about it. OK. Fine. Seriously, completely and TOTALLY psychotic. So for you, my dear (3) readers and for my own sanity, I'm going to list the pros and cons of doing it this way and on this particular day and then you tell me WHAT THE HELL TO DO! Mmkay?
Pros:
1. Scheduling. This is great in terms of knowing for certain that there will be someone to drive me to the hospital, knowing that I will actually make it to the hospital (about an hour away. 45 minutes if I'm in full-out labor), and knowing that someone will be here with the kids.
2. It would be my doctor doing the delivery. This is less of a big deal than it was the first time around. She's good. Actually, she's really good, but most of the time they're all fine (except Dr. Kevorkian - may not be his real last name but it sounds like it - who I really thought had the bedside manner of, well, Dr. Kevorkian. He delivered Baby Girl).
3. The pregnancy would finally be over. This fact should not be overlooked. I am insane. I am tired. I am fat. I am tired. Oh, wait. I already said that. You get the idea...
4. Meeting the baby. I can't wait. Is it a boy or a girl? Healthy? Lots of hair? How much does it weigh (which should probably factor in somewhere because our babies were all over 8 pounds)?
Cons
1. The baby may not be done baking yet. This is the single biggest (read: scariest) factor for me. They moved my due date to May 20th (from the 27th) but I know that they're wrong. So instead of only being 5 days early s/he would be 12 days early. I think that's too soon. I know that developmentally they consider anything over 37 weeks to be full-term but if s/he's not coming out on his/her own there's most likely a reason.
2. They could screw with me again and cancel the procedure. Or change it. Thus making me more psychotic than I already am. This would not be good, most especially for those who live here.
3. The baby would not have his/her own birthday. The 15th is my dad's birthday. He's thrilled with the idea but both Mr. MOTH and I are, well, less than thrilled (nothing personal, Dad). We just want him/her to have their own day. Obviously, if the BABY decides to come that day of its own free will then that's fine, but choosing it? I just don't know...
OK. That's all I've got for now. And just to make things perfectly clear, I'm still doing everything (reasonably) in my power to have this baby come on its own without medical intervention. I bought raspberry tea. I'm going on the treadmill. I'm going to cut the grass. Mr. MOTH will do his part. I'm going to eat pineapple (huh?). I draw the line at herbs, though. *shudder*. Also, I'm out of Milk of Magnesia. Oh, and I'm praying my butt off. At least God already knows that I'm nuts!
7 comments:
I would plan to induce, but no more than 10 days early (on your timeline). And I would try to keep it as "natural" as possible- membrane stripping, maybe water breaking, lots of walking the halls, and pitocin as a last resort. My main reason would be concern that you wouldn't make it to the hospital.
I induced #4 ten days early because we were in the middle of a move and wanted to be able to stay with daddy. He was 6.5 lbs and just fine.
#5 was induced about 5 days early because we wanted to make sure we made it to the hospital and also to make sure we had his parents around to help with the other kids.
But we always live very far from family and friends, and I am capable of freaky-fast labors (I dilated 6 cm with #3 with no noticable contractions- if I hadn't had a check that day, she probably would have be born at home or in the car. With the twins, I was on the same path but was alerted when my water broke at 3+ cm and painless contractions 2 min apart.) But as much as I am a person who likes to be in control, I feel like I've missed something in not having a single labor that was "normal," you know where you have cramps, then contractions, then go the hospital, pant and sweat for a while then squeeze it out.
Can you find a chiropractor who can do some induction moves?
Pineapple didn't work for me (and it has to be a fresh pineapple - I was told canned doesn't do anything). I ate a WHOLE fresh pineapple, and all I got was...nothing.
Mine came the day before my scheduled induction, but it was scheduled for 9 days PAT my due date.
Honestly, it is ultimately up to you, but I don't understand why so many doctors are pushing for inductions before the due date. Granted, I live about 5 mins from the hospital, and I didn't have any other kids (just 4 legged ones), so the distance thing wasn't an issue, but I can see how it might factor in your decision.
As someone who was induced the first time (overdue by 5 days and it was a horrible experience) and had a scheduled section the second, I can relate to wanting to have the baby come on his/her own schedule. That being said, if I was in your shoes I would probably end up inducing for all of the reasons you listed but particularly because you have the other kiddos to consider and bc the hospital isn't 5 mins away. What made them change your due date? That would be the only reason I would feel strongly about resisting it...
The purist in me, the one who wanted a natural childbirth, would say "whatever you do, don't induce." The me that remembers what it is like to be ENORMOUS and to just want it done already and who doesn't have any family close by would totally schedule it. I think if you're ready, go for it, and don't worry about the what ifs :) Hang in there girl!
also, cameron was born exactly two weeks before what i KNOW was my due date and he was totally fine...all 7lbs 12oz of him...and renee? she came out healthy as a horse at 36w2d. i know every baby is different though. were any of the other kids early?
I swear I thought I was going to die from anticipation this past week! I am all for an induction if your body is ready (ie., you are starting to dialate and efface.) With Cooper I was 4 centimeters and 80 percent effaced when I was induced (at 39 weeks, 4 days for pre-ecplamsia). I went into labor with Maren after the doctor stripped my membranes - she was born at 37 weeks exactly, and was healthy, albeit a bit jaundiced. Briar was born after a 'very slight thinning' of my membranes (per the doctor.) You know how that turned out . . . by the time we made it to the hospital (delayed by hubby needing to get home and my parents needing to come over for Cooper and Maren) I was completely dialated and ready to push - Briar came 17 minutes after we hit the door! And while not having to sit around a wait was great, it also made for a bit of chaos in the delivery room and no epidural. She was just fine, though it took her a bit longer to clear out her lungs and stomach because she came so very quickly. I don't envy you having to make the decision!
I think you should wait for things to happen on there own. From what I remember it is an easier labor and will give the baby time to get in the right position. Love, Aunt C.
Post a Comment