I mentioned that Oldest Boy's school has some issues with communication. OK. A LOT of issues. Tuesday was no exception, but in this case it was probably best that I didn't exactly know what was going on at the time.
As I made the turn towards his school from the main road, I noticed that there was a firetruck parked at the corner. No big deal, really, because they do this about once a month when they flush the hydrants or whatever. As I turned down the side road, I noticed more firetrucks very close to the school...in about the same area they are when they're doing whatever routine fire fighter business they do periodically. But. I got in the car-pool line and I noticed that the principal came out alone and stood in the parking lot. This is strange but no cause for alarm. Yet. The cars started pulling in to pick up the children...but the children were still inside. Under normal circumstances, the kids all stand in the parking lot "holding" area - rain, snow, sleet, freezing temps, whatever. On this particular day they were releasing the kids one.at.a.time. Directly into the care of the principal and then into the waiting vehicle. No one said a word as to why. Now, I'm trying not to assume the worst (think bomb threat or crazed gunman) but I have no idea what the "best" would be. Maybe they're trying something new? Trying to decrease wait time? Who knows? Of course, a kindergartener has no pertinent information...
The next moring, I check the local news website to be Absolutely! Certain! that there is no delay or cancellation. The top video? A suicidal gunman had killed himself in his home A FRICKIN' BLOCK AND A HALF FROM MY SON'S SCHOOL!!! He had locked himself in his room at his parents home (he was 22 years old and home from college) with a loaded shotgun DURING SCHOOL HOURS. Pardon the language but FUCK! Why was my son's school not LOCKED DOWN during this period?!?! Yes, I do occasionally over-react. But THIS? Seems to me a good time to over-react. This is MY KID'S LIFE you're talking about here!!! I understand that they believed the situation was under control. The house was surrrounded, they knew he was inside, blah, blah, blah. I AM NOT BUYING IT! The guy was obviously nuts and there is no way you can predict what a suicidal person is capable of. I'm sorry that it ended tragically for this young man and his family. Truly. But it could have been so much worse.
I know in my heart that when my children are away from me the only thing I can do to keep them safe is to pray. And I do. But isn't it the school's responsibility to keep him safe when he's under their supervision? As I mentioned, it was best for everyone that I didn't know at the time. What would I have done? Well, that's an answer we'll never have, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have involved waiting patiently and obliviously in my minivan while they calmly released him into a wide open parking lot and then into my care. Home schooling is looking better and better...
1 comment:
This is precisely why I'm starting to think moving to the middle of NOWHERE in, say, Wyoming and homeschooling is sounding better and better!!! I really don't know what I'd have done in that situation. I usually resort to the uber popular cry-like-a-baby.
Post a Comment