Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Birthdays

This past weekend we celebrated Baby Girl's second birthday and Oldest Boy's sixth birthday with family. We survived the "celebration"...but just barely. I always make a fuss over the kids' birthdays on the actual birthday, separate from their birthday party (unless they happen to fall on the same day). I want them to feel that totally special feeling that comes from having a day be all theirs. This year I made chocolate cream-filled cupcakes for Baby Girl (she loves chocolate) and we lit a couple of candles and sang to her. Shortly after those festivites Mr. MOTH headed to the basement to clean up the aftermath of the drywall and I gave the kids their baths. Except Oldest Boy passed out on his bed from a fever before he got to the actual bathing part. Poor kid.

He was feverish the entire next day, including during the party, and it continued until Sunday evening. At least he gets to have his "kids only" party this weekend, so I hope he doesn't feel like he missed out on too much. The great part about this? He shared it with ME! I started with the fever Sunday evening and it seems to be gone now. Of course, I totally panicked and called my OB because I've never had a fever and chills while pregnant before. I just know it's not.good. She just recommended Tylenol (whoopdeedoo - this is like telling me to put a band-aid on a gun-shot wound) and told me not to worry. Luckily, the baby must like Tylenol because s/he has been active more than normal the last two days.
If I hadn't had some help yesterday (thank God for Aunt Jo), I'm pretty sure my kids would have had to survive on dry cereal and goldfish crackers because I wouldn't have been able to make them anything else! I can't remember when I've been so sick. Actually, that's not true. I remember the Flu of '04 like it happened yesterday...I just don't like to think about it. So, now I'm down an entire day. I have to "help" Oldest Boy make a Valentine's Day box for school and fill out 28(!) teeny, tiny Valentine's cards, clean my entire house, order a cake, figure out a menu for a houseful of grown-ups who I've never met (I forgot about this part, but most people don't want to leave their 5-year-old with strangers for 2 1/2 hours), and then start preparing the gift bags. Oh, and I have to find some way that I'm going to amuse said 5-year-olds for that period of time. How long do you think I can get by with Valentine bingo?
Some photos:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude. I swear she gets cuter with every picture that you post! I am thinking of you and hope everything goes off without a hitch.

beanski said...

I'm feverish too but not pregnant...does NOT sound fun.
I hope you are all feeling better soon!

Seriously, Baby Girl is so STINKING CUTE. She's really changed a lot!

Anonymous said...

Um, where is BABY Girl? Because that is a LITTLE LADY! How cute.

We're running the illness gamut around here this week, too! I hope you feel better.