Every year I make resolutions just like the rest of the world. I usually keep a few and break a few but at least I put out the effort. I also try to focus on one specific area in my life. Two years ago it was our marriage. There were no issues to speak of but we were closing in on double digits (10 years last October!) and I wanted to make sure there were better years ahead. I read a lot of relationship books and as a result we're in a fantastic place right now (Note: We aren't perfect. We can still push each other into a screaming hissy but in the end we know who loves us.)
Last year it was all about me. I wanted to be stronger, faster, better. I started running with a specific goal in mind and kept at it for a whole host of reasons that are hard to explain to non-runners. One that everybody seems to understand though is the fact that my skinny jeans fit. Every time. And it makes me more disciplined in a lot of other areas, too.
This year I'm focused on being a better mommy. Not that this isn't an on-going, never-ending part of my life every.single.day but choosing it to be the focus is different. I recently read an article by author Debbie Macomber where she talks about choosing one word to focus on throughout the year. This year my word is "peace". I want peace to reign supreme in our home. This may be close to Mission: Impossible...but I choose to accept it. I'm reading a book (Parenting with Grace: The Catholic Parents' Guide to Raising Almost Perfect Kids) and I have started making a plan and now I'm going to make the time to implement it and move forward. I love my kids. I just need to make sure they know it (even though I SAY it constantly - their "love languages" are all different).
I'll continue to run with a goal of running at least the same 3 races I ran last year and adding a 10K into the mix. I wanted to run a half marathon this year. I briefly considered doing a destination race like maybe part of the Rock'n'Roll series but after reading about how badly the Vegas race was handled I decided to stick close to home. Running the City of Bridges would kinda be full circle for me anyhow. And then I got Mr. MOTH's work schedule and he has to be out of town then. {SIGH}. I may choose a different (but still close) one or maybe not. I would love to do the Princess Half in Disney World but we're going to be there at the wrong time this time around. I'll figure something out...
1 comment:
One day, I would love to do the 1/2 marathon in Disney. Will have to wait until kids are older - but what a great goal.
Good luck with your running, and your parenting goals in 2012...although you're a great mommy already.
Happy new year!!!
Post a Comment