Our Oldest Boy is playing basketball this year. He's in 3rd grade and this is the first year they're allowed to be on a team. His team is made up of 14 or so 3rd and 4th graders. He's a bit tall for his age but, unfortunately for him, he has my athletic ability. He hasn't missed a practice (aside from one optional one over the Christmas break) and we've been at every game. He plays equal time as the other players (this is Catholic school rules at this age) and he tries. Truly.
He just gets a bit confused about the whole "offense" and "defense" roles. He is an excellent defensive player. He follows his man when they play man defense and he nearly always stays in his zone when they play zone. He's sorta afraid of the ball so rebounds aren't his strong suit. He has a mean pass, though, and can shoot it to another player at lightning speed.
Offensively, he still plays defense. He stays with the man who's guarding him instead of trying NOT to do so. After watching him play his 5 minute stretch, I scooted over to him on the bench and explained what he should be doing. His next trip onto the court HE HAD HIS FIRST FOUL! I don't care that it was a foul, it means he WENT AFTER THE BALL! WOOT! I whooped and hollered and general made a big deal out of it (if you have ever been to a game with me before, you will NOT be surprised by this...). When I asked him about it he said, "I was tryin' to kick some HINEY!!"
He may just make a great basketball player yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment