Friday, January 6, 2012

Training to...Catch the Garbage Truck?

You all know that I started running last January in the hopes of completing a 5K. I am still running even after my varicose vein treatments (follow-up post coming soon!) although I haven't committed to any more races yet (read: I haven't ponied up the funds). But yesterday my training came in very, very handy!

We live on a small cul-de-sac. Four houses total (currently only 3 are occupied since the crazy, irresponsible, annoying neighbors suffered a foreclosure). Our little road is part of a plan of homes made up of six of the exact same cul-de-sacs. Five of the six are relatively level (the sixth is that big hill I conquer at the start of my run). We live on one of the level roads.

Since we built our home in 2002 we have been required by our garbage collection agency to place our trash at the end of the cul-de-sac by the "big road" (that's what my kids call it). A few years ago I noticed that the garbage truck goes the whole way down the next cul-de-sac over and picked up the trash in front of the homes. So I called the company. They explained that the homeowners must have a disability (which is true) and that's why they made the exception. Fair enough. I wasn't going to begrudge them this perk when they have other woes.

About a year ago our favorite neighbors (across the street) were told that not only did they have to put their trash at the end of the road but they had to cart it across to our side. This was annoying to them but a bit more annoying to us because, well, we live in the country. There are nocturnal creatures who feast on our trash, ripping the bags wide open and spewing it...across our lawn. We dealt with it because, well, what choice did we have?

Over Christmas break I just happened to be driving home during trash pick-up time and I saw the garbage truck go down every.other.road in our plan. Come to think of it, I've never seen the other roads with trash at the end. NEVER. I called again and was promptly told that, yes, indeed, they would pick up our garbage at the end of our driveway and we no longer had to cart it down the street, effective immediately. WOOT! This was great news for all as it's getting chilly around these parts.

Trash day was yesterday. There was approximately 1/4 inch of snow left on the ground (we got maybe 2" during the week). I knew the chances were slim that the garbage collectors were going to voluntarily drive down our road as this would require a good 3-4 extra minutes of work for them (sidenote: I know garbage men work very hard. I also know that I pay more than I should for this service.). I was watching. They went down the other roads. They stopped for the house across the big road. They briefly considered driving down our road. And then they didn't. Poor, poor souls.

I already had my shoes on (ala Flylady) and I was standing next to Mr. MOTH's jacket. I was out the door in a flash with instructions to the girls to stay put and not get into any trouble (yeah, right). I chased them, on foot, wearing Sketchers flats, in the snow. And I caught them on the next cul-de-sac. We exchanged pleasantries (read: I wanted to know why in the %$#@ they hadn't picked up my garbage. They told me it was "too icy". Pishaw!). My neighbors already think I'm nuts and this proved it. BUT. One well-placed phone call (thank GOD I got the original Customer Service person) and I was promised they would pick it up - where it was - by the end of the day. Less than an hour later it was gone. Must've been elves. Maybe flying garbage squirrels. Don't know. Don't care.

Next week I'll be wearing my Nike.

No comments: