Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Morning Sickness

Nope. I'm not expecting (although my brother's new wife is! WOOHOO!) but yesterday I did experience morning sickness of the self-induced variety...

I don't have a lot of time to work-out (obviously) so in order to maximize one of the "benefits" of running (aka "alone time"), I decided to give an early-morning run a try. At 5:30AM. Yes, you read that correctly. I voluntarily got up before 6 to run. It's not like I've never done this before. I used the Body-for-Life program by Bill Philips when I was getting into shape before our wedding and again after Oldest Boy was born. The cardio part of the program recommends that you do so before you eat first thing in the morning - the theory being that you'll only burn stored calories and not what you've most recently ingested and that you'll continue to burn even more as the day goes on. It worked, because I was in probably the best shape of my life so far. However, I didn't have 4 kids to care for and a crazy life to deal with back then (although it sure seemed like it at the time).

Yesterday morning, I learned that my body, well, she ain't what she used to be! I didn't run as far as I had on Sunday. And I didn't feel...good when I was done. That's probably a big understatement. I was worried I wasn't going to be able to make it through my shower without losing my dinner (from the night before since I still hadn't eaten yet).

I'm going to have to keep trying, though, because eventually I'd like to be able to go for a run outside and that will require an early-morning trip so that someone can be home with the kids. Either that or I need a double jog-stroller and fair bit more "crazy" in my training program.

I'm also on the lookout for someone to do this with me. Either the training part or the 5K itself (While I'm still leaning towards doing the one at the boys' school I'm also considering the Great Race or maybe even one in late spring like the Race for the Cure).

2 comments:

Burgh Baby said...

There are a ton of runners amongst the Burgh Mom crew. Maybe if you make it out to a dinner one of these days, you'll be able to find someone in your part of the city. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your brother and his wife (I would crack a joke about them not wasting any time, but my sister and her new husband announced their pregnancy on Christmas - ahem.)

If your body doesn't adapt to working out on an empty stomach, maybe you could try a little protein powder? I usually start my workout at 9:00 and rarely have time to get breakfast in early enough beforehand to keep from getting cramps/sick - instead I have a small protein shake to give my stomach something to 'chew' on until I can workout and then have breakfast.