Growing up, I spent a lot of time playing cards with family. Our game of choice was euchre and we sometimes played it A LOT. When family was in from out of town (especially Aunt Kay and Uncle John - who used to sit at the card table the whole time they were here and wait for others to play with him), when there was a family reunion, when there was a party or funeral, or pretty much any time there were four semi-adult members of the clan together with a deck of cards. And I loved it. I also took it very seriously. I learned to play when I was, hmmm, maybe 11? (Uncle Mark, toss me a year here...) and I got really good at losing (see aforementioned Uncle Mark). See, my family doesn't believe you take pity on the young. They play for blood. And it was some of my happiest memories.
But there's one thing lately that I keep hearing in my head. Everyone has stupid lines that they throw around when they're playing (Uncle John used to say, "I'll take blind luck and superstition over skill and science any day.") and something my grandfather says when he plays is stuck on a loop in my brain. Every time I ramp up the treadmill for the final push of my run I hear it. I hear it in HIS voice (which is not as creepy as it sounds): GO BIG OR STAY HOME. Yep, that's my training mantra right now. I'm about to commit to a race. Or just be committed. But I'm sticking this out and I will run it.
GO BIG OR STAY HOME!
1 comment:
I LOVE to amp up the treadmill...I always tell myself "Take the interval! Run!" LMAO!!!
I always start my training for races we do every year in january. Feels good to get back on the wagon after the holiday off.
Yes, we have a DVC timeshare. I love it. If there is ever a year we need extra $ we rent ours out. And then use the $ for our next vacation! It works wonderful!!
Post a Comment