Growing up, I was not exactly known for my cooking ability. I could make three things: cold cereal, toast, and macaroni and cheese (from scratch!). My mom is a pretty good cook, although with 4 kids she did tend to “forget” things on the stove or in the oven. This was never really a problem because my dad? Will eat anything. No seriously. A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G!! So when I first started to try my hand at cooking (in high school) I got a little bit overconfident because he would say how good it was!
I moved out on my own and began to learn to make this and that and most of it was at least edible. I could bake with the best of them, presumably because of my sweet tooth, but a lot of the time it was just easier to eat out or mooch dinner from my good friend and her husband.
And then I met Mr. MOTH. My husband is a supertaster. Not only is he a supertaster, but he is a trained supertaster. (As a chemist for a company that manufactures interior coatings for food and beer/beverage cans, he was trained for the taste test panel and receives continuous training in order to maintain his “ability”. I shit you not). My fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants cooking was no longer going to cut it. There’s nothing worse than trying to cook for a supertaster. Except cooking for a trained supertaster who’s watching what he eats!
Right now we are in the midst of trying to “eat healthy”. My definition and Mr. MOTH’s definition of healthy eating are on two very different ends of the spectrum. I cut out a few things and some calories (while increasing exercise/strength training). Mr. MOTH? He doesn’t want to eat anything processed. Or fatty. Or sugary. Or green. Yeah. That’s what I said.
Enter my favorite cooking thing: Allrecipes.com*. I think this site may have saved my sanity. I can search by the ingredients that I have on-hand (or by what he will actually eat). I can print the recipe AND include the nutritional info. My favorite thing right now is a Blueberry Oatmeal Coffee Cake that is actually healthy (Mr. MOTH won’t eat it, though. {SIGH})!!
Anybody else have any favorite healthy eating tricks? I could still use some help...
*For the record, this is an unsolicited, unpaid endorsement...
4 comments:
Dude. INSANE. I have ruined Jello.
Let's see . . . wheat bread instead of white, skim milk instead of 2%, low-fat when it is available (and when it tastes much like the regular stuff - low-fat mayonaise is good, low-fat peanut butter is not), and I don't buy sweets (which doesn't mean that we don't eat them - it just means I have to make them.)
The only 'trick' I have is adding pureed vegetables to things - ie., spaghetti sauce . . . it carries enough of its own flavor that no one notices when I throw a jar of pureed peas in.
Good luck!
I've got nothin'. My husband will eat almost anything (unless it has copious amounts of tomatoes in it, well, except ketchup).
I'm bookmarking allrecipes.com, though.
Dude... how hilarious that your husband is a highly trained supertaster. **thanking lucky stars I didn't marry a supertaster**
I put shredded zucchini and sometimes carrots in my meatballs and boiled cauliflower in with my potatoes for mashing. You can make sloppy joes with finely chopped carrots and celery (and peppers and onions, too, but I hate those) Also have a recipe for zucchini bran muffins that everyone inhales.
Dh won't eat anything green except peas and my special green beans (steamed with a sauce of melted butter, bit of olive oil, basil, and lemon pepper). Best I got.
Post a Comment