Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Swim lessons

Oldest Boy had his very first swim lesson this week. His "instructor" was pretty cranky, like she really wanted to be anywhere else. What is it with swim instructors, anyhow? When I had swim lessons as a child, I can remember my instructor being a real asshole big meanie as well. Of course, when I was having swim lessons it was a lot more common to learn by having someone throw you into the quarry and hope for the best.. But I digress.

He was a lot braver than I thought he would be. He jumped right in and completely enjoyed himself. Also? He didn't stop talking the.entire.time. Even when he was supposed to be "blowing bubbles". He was all, "blub.blub.blub and then my brother blub.blub.blub. put the blocks blub.blub.blub in his blub.blub.blub pocket". Really, it's a feat that can only be accomplished by someone who shares my genetic make-up because I'm pretty sure I could talk while blowing bubbles as well...

Of course, since this is the size of our pool, and because there's no way in holy hell I'm voluntarily getting into a bathing suit to take them to the local pool right now, I'm thinking he's not really going to be using those swim lessons any time soon:


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I taught swimming lessons for a number of years, and LOVED it - and I don't think I was ever an asshole. (Though to be fair, I don't like the smell of maple syrup - ironic considering my last post - and would always make the kids who came to lessons smelling like it go under and get their heads wet IMMEDIATELY.) LOVE the pool!

Amber said...

aww - I think there might be more room in my dog's water dish than in the kids "pool," lol.

But swimming is like bike riding - it's a skill you need, and even if you don't use it for a long time, you'll remember it pretty quickly.

Anonymous said...

Well, my baby is 3 years old and I still REFUSE to don a bathing suit to take my kids to the pool. I had Wynnie in lessons for 4 weeks, which meant fighting with Mack EVERY.SINGLE.DAY for 4 weeks to put sunscreen on to take his sister to lessons. I stopped after the 4th week, the crying was making me insane. My crying.