Facebook. I just don't get it. No, seriously. I mean, I understand why some people do it. For example, my SIL does it because her kids are all on there so she can keep up with their lives much more easily. One of my closest friends has recently opened an account because her husband is doing a tour of duty in Iraq (which is the one thing compelling me to sign up) and he has more access to a computer than a phone.
But to me, it just seems like high school all over again. Look! I have elenty-seven "friends"! I'm waaay cooler than you! Did I mention that I really hated high school? There are approximately 2-3 people from high school who I even talk to any more. Everyone else? Not so much. And yet, my life goes on. Hard to believe, isn't it? Alright, all bitterness aside, I just don't seem to care if everyone from my past lives knows all about my current one.
They say that living well is the best revenge. Good. I'll share a little story from my past: About a year before I started dating Mr. MOTH I got a phone call out of the blue. It was an old flame, Mike*, who had called my parents' house to get my number (my sister gladly gave it to him, a story for another day). He had just broken up with the girl he was dating when I graduated college and was "just wondering" what I was up to. At the time, I was living the fun, single life: clubbing on weekends, skiing, bowling, caving, working out at the gym, living on my own with a well-paying job. Him? He was still living with his parents and working at a low-level position with no funds for all of the "fun" things that I mentioned I was doing. Ahhh. That kind of revenge really can be so sweet. The point is, via facebook, I'm pretty sure he could find me now if he was so inclined. I love my life right now, but I don't really need to be made to feel like I have to justify my choices to people whose opinions I quit caring about a loooong time ago. Does that make sense? Am I being crazy?
*Name may have been changed to protect the obnoxious. Or not. EVERY GUY I dated before Mr. MOTH was named Mike. Seriously.
4 comments:
I though the same thing for a long time, and then I FINALLY gave in and joined. Oddly enough, most of my 'Friends' are people whose blogs I read and a few people from high school that I have stayed intouch with off-and-on through the years. I have come to enjoy it for the micro-blogging aspect - being able to throw out a single thought or event without having to build an entire post around it.
OH MY GAWD! I've been going through the FB/ NO FB scenario in my head for weeks! It IS just like high school. "Look... Gregg has 289 friends!" I've toured around and I look at some of my former classmates and who is on their list of friends and think "THEY HATED EACH OTHER!!!" what the heck is with friending on FB now?
I hate high school. And I think it's like our 10 year reunion scenario: "Look how great I am! Look how much money I make! Look at the car I drive; the hottie I married..." blah, blah, blah!
I'm SO with you.
Yeah, I don't get it either. I occasionally check in with my Facebook account, but I always wonder why I'm there when I do.
I facebook because it's a handy way to keep track of long distance friends and relatives since we move so much. Most of my friends aren't that active. But it's private and I've had to deny friendship to a few people and de-friend others. Also I like to make sarcastic commentary with mass media as often as possible. Draw the line at twitter, tho.
Post a Comment