Thursday, June 4, 2009

It Takes a Village

I am officially the mother of a first grader! Oldest Boy "graduated" from Kindergarten last night - complete with a diploma! We were all in attendance along with my Aunt Jo and my parents. While we were in the cafeteria noshing on cookies and punch (I lost track of how many, exactly, each of my kids had), another mom (who also has a new baby) came up to chat. She admired our Little One and I cooed over hers and then she said something.

"I admire you. We just don't know how you do it!"

Oh, boy, are they snowed! Here's my dirty little secret...I don't. Right now we are in survival mode. My house is a disaster. There are toys in every.single.room (my own personal rule has been violated). The dishes haven't been washed in...a while. But we're surviving. How? Because we have a fantastic support system. If not for my parents and my aunt, we would be up shit creek without a paddle. No lie. So, to them, THANKS! I probably don't say it often enough and I know I'm unbelievably cranky right now (sleep deprivation IS torture), but I really, truly appreciate everything they've done.

In all fairness, it helps to have a fantastically supportive husband as well (except, of course, when his team is down 2 games to 1 in the Stanley Cup Finals. Ahem.)

2 comments:

Chris in NY said...

I have 4 kids, ages 9, 7, 3, and 2. I get that all the time..."I just don't know how you do it! I can barely handle ONE kid!" The best is when I hear "You're my HERO!" Um...no...I'm not. Sure, I have a couple tricks-of-the-trade and shortcuts, but generally I'm hanging on by the skin of my teeth.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm that mom with 2 who wonders how ANYBODY with more does it. I feel like I'm in survival mode most of the time, too.

You're doing a great job. Clean dishes are overrated.