Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Finger Food?

Snack time at our house happens just before our bedtime routine (actually, I guess it's part of it). The kids almost always have the same two or three things. Baby Girl always has a cereal bar and "sumpin' eltse", pease?". That something else is usually a fruit ("strawbeddies") or Cheerios ("shoes" - I don't ask). Saturday night she had Cheerios...and promptly stuck one up her nose!! Now, this is NOT the first time that she has told us she has put one up there, but this is the first time I could actually SEE it! I panicked, called our pediatrician, and tried like hell to get it out. I got some of it out but I couldn't be certain it was the whole thing. I also couldn't be certain that she put the whole thing up there in the first place.

When the doc called she told us to go to the ER (because we weren't certain we got it all out). We are very bad parents...because we didn't go. We researched it on-line (I know, the best medical advice in the world comes from the internet, right?) and we also called my SIL. Her point was that a lot of times kids put things up their nose and the parents don't find out for days so we could probably wait it out. We're still waiting. And she's no longer allowed to have Cheerios. Ever.

The guilt is killing me, but she's fine. Not so much as a single cough (which was my qualification for rushing her down to Children's). Anybody else have a story about their kid inhaling or swallowing some "foreign" object (although, really, how "foreign" is a Cheerio anyhow?)? Am I the only awful mommy out there?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! You are SO not the only 'bad' mother out there! Shortly before Briar was born, Maren finished off her dinner by shoving a kernel of corn up her nose - a kernel that was, just like Baby Girl's Cheerio, close enough to see, but just far enough to not be reached. I tried a toothpick, tweezers, having her blow her nose, and even went so far as to plug her clear nostril and blow in her mouth. Nothing. I let it go and figured it would work its way out. (I did, however, ask the pediatrician about it a couple days later when I took Cooper in for his well child visit.) She said as long as she wasn't coughing or spewing out green boogers (indicating that the corn was in her sinuses and causing an infection), she was fine. She still eats corn on a regular basis, and I still don't watch her carefully enough to ensure that it doesn't happen again . . . 'cause I am a good mom like that.

Anonymous said...

hahaha!!! I happen to know from experience that it costs $375 to have TWO dried beans removed from a toddler nostril on a Saturday afternoon.