Friday, September 12, 2008

PTG

I had my first Parent Teacher Guild meeting last night at Oldest Boy's school. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect, but it was pretty uneventful. They did have a mini open-house before the meeting so I got to speak briefly with his teacher. She's a nice enough lady, although I think we were really spoiled by his preschool teacher. I do, however, really like the teacher's aide. She seems to actually know my son, which is important. The teacher says he's doing well but he still comes up to her once in awhile and buries his face in her hip and says he misses us. (BTW, this made me positive that she was actually talking about my son because he does this to me as well). She explained his "homework" (yes, I said homework) and made sure I understood how things work in general. Like I said, she's nice enough. I think she might just be overwhelmed. Doesn't 31 children in a class seem like a lot? I think they used to do the afternoon/morning Kindergarten thing but since they made it all-day they just shove the same amount of kids into one class. I think he's getting enough attention, though, so it's not a big deal.

And then there's the library situation. After his first trip there, I thought for sure this would be one of his favorite things. We've always read to the kids quite a bit so the prospect of bringing home a new book every week seemed great. Yeah. Not so much. Oldest Boy will not return his book. It's his favorite. He can't take it back. PLEASE, Mommy! So, for the third week in a row, we have an astronaut book that was published in 1985. I kid you not. They mention that "someday" there will be a space station. I can't convince him to try something new. He wants me to search for it and buy it so he can have his own copy. What am I supposed to do about that?!?! Where, exactly, does one find an ancient book about space? I'm off to search e-bay. Drop me a suggestion if you've got one...

**Update: I found it on e-bay. No kidding. This will be my virgin bid on e-bay. Wish me luck!

No comments: