Monday, September 8, 2008

Cake Balls

My parents come to visit the kids every Sunday. I use this time (free babysitting!) to do one of two things: Nothing or Everything. When the kids have been sick or teething, I do nothing. If everyone is relatively healthy and I've gotten the prescribed amount of sleep, I do Everything. Yesterday, I did Everything.

I like to cook, so I usually try something a little bit more elaborate when my parents are here. It's just easier when there are a couple of extra pairs of hands and eyes to help keep the munchkins safe and out of my hair. Yesterday I made my now-famous lasagna, fresh-baked Italian bread from scratch (although I cheat and use the bread machine for the dough), and an absolutely wonderful little confection called Cake Balls. I know, who names something that tastes so wonderful something so goofy? I can't say the name without snickering. Yep, I'm sooo mature. Anyhow, these things are absolutely sinful. They are super easy to make, although they do take some time, but they may be my new favorite thing. You basically bake a cake-mix cake, mix the finished cake with a can of icing, roll them into balls and dip them in chocolate. YUUUUMMMMYYYYY! The number of combinations are infinite. Here's the recipe. You gotta try it. REALLY. And then let me know how they worked and what your favorite was. I used yellow cake, milk chocolate icing and chocolate coating. Mr. MOTH says they tasted like a Ho-Ho! Delish! I can't WAIT to try other flavors! I'm such a dork.

On another note, the fever that Oldest Boy had and that I was blaming on his getting his 6-year molars, was for real. Youngest Boy has it now and I'm just waiting for a report from our playdate pal that her son has it, too. It's surely just a matter of time before Baby Girl gets it. Oldest Boy now has the sniffles, which concerns me because Youngest Boy was diagnosed with asthma last year (technically, the specialist calls it "virally-induced lower respiratory disease", which just means he only has asthma when he's got a cold). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he does not need breathing treatments and steroids because he hates it. With all of the pooping issues we've got going on right now, I don't think it would be fair to have to put him through breathing treatments every four hours as well. Here's hoping (and praying).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*Snickering* cake balls. Oh, yes. I am that mature as well. Those sound really good - I will have to add them to my Try List!

I hope the boys get better soon and that Baby Girl is spared (though I know the likelyhood of that one!)