Tuesday, March 26, 2013

No car for you!

Yesterday was...interesting.  I mentioned that the kids had a school delay due to snow and that I had done some baking before heading out the door. 

Well.

As Little One and I were on our way home from dropping off the kids, the Space Shuttle decided that going forward was just too.much.effort.  Instead, it decided to stop all forward motion completely about a mile before our exit from the interstate.  This caused mild panic - I did NOT want to get sideswiped by a semi or, worse yet, a house (there's a big market out here in the sticks for mobile homes and at least two drove by while we waited).  Thankfully, we have AAA and in a little over half an hour a tow truck appeared with a grisly fellow who got us where we needed to go - the car dealership. 

I knew it wasn't going to be good news but we had a limit as to how much we would spend before seriously considering a new vehicle.  The cost to fix it was double our limit.  So Little One and I car shopped while Mr. MOTH left work, picked up the kiddos from school, dropped them off at home with Aunt Jo and met us there (we got to the dealership at noon - he got there at 4:21).  Before he left work he frantically did research (his specialty) so that we would know how much we should be spending and what our options were. 

They met his price.

And then we decided to sleep on it and today we're paying to have the stupid, sassafrassing transmission fixed.  It is absolutely the right decision - we are planning a vacation and aren't in a position to comfortably add a monthly payment for a new car. 

But.

Those new ones sure were shiny...

No comments: