Monday, February 6, 2012

So I Jumped

My daughter is teaching me to jump out of my comfort zone with both feet. So I did.

About a month ago we were at mass and I looked up during Communion and spotted this young man. He looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders and I thought to myself, "He needs someone to pray for him." So I did. This is a bit our of character for me but sometimes you just do what your heart tells you.

Except that my heart just didn't let go.

I saw him at mass every Sunday there after and something kept tugging at my heart strings telling me to at least find out his name so I could pray for him properly. This meant I would have to tell him what I was doing. Now, approaching strangers isn't exactly hard for me. It's really part of my nature (I know, shocking for those of you who know my dad's family!). But laying my faith out in the open and and offering to pray for a stranger? That's a bit out of my comfort zone. Actually, it's across the ocean and down the block from my comfort zone. But then I remembered Baby Girl jumping with both feet even though she was scared.

As fate would have it (OK, divine intervention), he was right behind us on the way out of mass yesterday. I said, "This is probably going to sound crazy, but I've seen you here the last few weeks and something is telling my heart I need to pray for you. Can you tell me your name?" He looked floored, told me his full name (we'll call him CW around here), and said thank you. The woman with him (I think it was most likely his mom) said, "His dad has cancer. Maybe that's why." And I lost it. Tears. And now I'm lifting him and his dad up in prayer multiple times a day.

Strange how the Good Lord leads you into someone's life - sometimes kicking and screaming - sometimes jumping with both feet.

No comments: