Sunday, February 5, 2012

Both Feet

When you have more than one child the innate need to compare them is ever-present. You can pretend you don't. But. You do. And anyone who says they don't is lying. It's not always out loud and it's not always in a negative way (You guys are both so TALL!) but it's nearly constant. Who walks first. Who talks first. Who swears first (OK, maybe that's just us...). Sometimes they're so much alike it's a bit frightening. I can remember when we first put the boys in a bedroom together they would sleep in the exact.same.position. For months.

It's important not to always give the kids the same compliment at the exact same time because it takes away from both. And you always have to be sincere. For example, Little One is a very brave (read: dangerous) little girl. Baby Girl is not as brave (read: timid) but she has other qualities. However, she's not a big fan of her baby sister showing her up in any way.

Recently, Little One has gotten to where she wants to get out of the Space Shuttle by herself, thankyouverymuch. And she doesn't just climb down. OH NO! She has to jump! I made a fuss the first time she did it about what a big kid she was and how brave she was without really thinking about the fact that Baby Girl still needs to either slide out on her toosh or hold hands to get out.

The girls and I went to the mall on Friday to pick up jammies for Mr. MOTH (read why HERE). We were about to get out when I heard some deep breathing and then saw 2 size 11 sparkle sneakers land on the ground next to me with a loud, "Yes!". "Mommy!! I did it like sister! I just took a deep breath and then I was very brave!!"

Take a deep breath and jump with both feet. Always.

No comments: