Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Family Dynamics: Part II

The last time I tackled the topic of Family dynamics I mostly talked about my husband's family. My turn!


Growing up as the oldest child of two oldest children meant that I was the first, well, everything. The first child, the first grandchild, the first niece. And I kinda liked it. It meant that I didn't really have to ever research my family history the way Mr. MOTH did - I grew up actually spending time with and knowing my GREAT grandparents, let alone my grandparents.


My parents each have one sister. The means I had two aunts when I was born who were young (teenagers) and single and childless. THAT makes for great spoiling, in case you're wondering (sidenote: I had some pretty cool uncles, too, but this post is getting around to the fact that I'm going to be an aunt and - Chaz Bono not withstanding - I will never be an uncle). They were both extremely different (still are) but they were both awesome - I had sleepovers, I got to go horseback riding, I played with kittens, I learned how to drive, and many other things I'm surely forgetting. I still talk to them regularly and they are both here when my children have a birthday party or other milestone. They are, simply put, part of my life (occasionally, whether I like it or not!).


In early September, my brother and his wife are going to make me an aunt (another sidenote: technically I became an aunt many times over on October 6, 2001 when I said, "I do" but that is different - especially since about half of my nieces and nephews through marriage are around the same age as me or older!). I am beyond ecstatic to get to be an aunt. Of course, I want to be her favorite (yes, it's a girl) but I'm nervous. You see, my sister-in-law has four sisters. The competition is stiff - they're all (so far) young, single, and childless - which means they're at the same point in their lives that my aunts were when I was born and I know from experience that makes for cool-ness. BUT, I've got something that they don't - something that I always wanted when I was young and didn't really get until I was quite a bit older...


...



...



...




COUSINS!

Bring it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am the youngest of 2 girls. But, I am the only one who was able to have kids. My sister, wasn't able, and is happy with that now. (Took awhile to get there). So, since my kids dads (2 different men) don't have any siblings around, my boys don't have cousins in their life. I wish they did. I grew up with my cousins and it was AWESOME!

www.storiesofmymen.blogspot.com