Monday, November 17, 2008

Our Star of the Week

Oldest Boy's Kindergarten class does something that they call "Star of the Week". Each week, one special child gets to be the star. They get their picture on the bulletin board, along with their baby picture and pictures of their family. They get all sort of special treatment - like their own personal show-and-tell and lunch with the family member of their choosing - and they also "get to" bring in a treat for the entire class. This week is his turn.

What this means is that mommy now has to find an appropriate recipe that does not contain any nut residue. I have been panicking about this since the first day of school and I found out there were nut allergies in his class. This is truly serious business, I know. I immediately contacted my good friend whose twins have nut allergies and asked for HELP! She hooked me up somewhat, and apparently, as long as every ingredient is nut-free, I can make something from scratch. I'm planning to make sugar cookies in the shape of stars. I'm guessing they leave out the "nut-factor" of the person doing the baking...

Regardless, the timing of his being "Star of the Week" really couldn't have been better. It means he'll get to be the center of attention all week at school and hopefully won't balk this weekend when his brother is the center of attention at home. Youngest Boy's birthday (and, this year, his party) fall on Sunday. Normally, each child gets their party day and then on their calendar birthday they get special attention from us at home. I make their favorite meal and a special cake of their choosing. This year, Youngest Boy's is all wrapped up into one glorious day! He wants all things dinosaur, so I'm trying to comply. I'm going to give all of the meal components a pre-historic name and we've gotten enough dinosaur decorations that he should be pleased. I'm having a little trouble coming up with "dinosaur" ice cream, but I'll think of something:).

No comments: