Oldest Boy was eating his standard breakfast fare (this morning, a bagel) when all of a sudden he yelped and told me it was hurting his tooth. I went to investigate and, sure enough, he's got a loose one! To some children, this would be cause for much excitement. To my son, not so much. He's been worried about this day for oh, I dunno, 2 years or so. He made me promise the last time we discussed this that when we left the tooth for the tooth fairy I would leave a note asking her to please either leave the tooth or keep it safe in an undisclosed location so that he may one day see it again. This worries me no small amount because I'm pretty sure he's got a genetic predisposition to hoarding disease. My dad is a hoarder and I'm certain that if he lived alone we wouldn't be able to find him for all of the "stuff" he thinks he needs to keep. BTW? He's in COMPLETE denial of this. My sister and the older of my two brothers also have definite hoarding tendencies - a fact which they also ignore but would become blatantly obvious if they lived in their own homes. No one wants to acknowledge it. They call it "collecting" or some other BS, but it's ridiculous. When you can no longer walk in a room because of your "collecting"? It's time to re-evaluate. But I digress.
Oldest Boy is growing up and he's not happy about it. I'm trying to put a happy face on it, but I'm a teeny, tiny bit sad, too. A gap-toothed grin is one of the first signs that he's truly not a baby any more. {SIGH} I need time to adjust.
***************
On a separate note, Thanksgiving is just around the corner and I'm doing my best to be very, very thankful this year. I know that not everyone has it as good as we do. Some have lost homes; some have lost jobs; some have lost loved ones - even children. For those of you who are thinking charitable thoughts this year but don't necessarily know who or what to give, visit this link. I read this woman's blog and it nearly breaks my heart to do so. I can't imagine the bittersweetness of the holidays for her and her family. Please consider choosing a gift from this wish list and contributing it to the toy drive in her son, Jack's name. The toys will be donated to a New Jersey children's hospital - where one of her daughter's recently had heart surgery. Again, we are so blessed when others are suffering. As our priest likes to say, don't give until it hurts, give until it feels good!
No comments:
Post a Comment