1. Photo Pass. There's this wonderful option at all of the WDW parks to have a professional take your photo at all of the hot spots (think in front of Cinderella's Castle and The Tree of Life). The first time, the photographer will give you a Photo Pass Card and that card is your ticket to having all of your photos in one place - online - to look at, purchase, edit, enhance, etc. It's not cheap (of course), but if you're the one always taking the photos and never in them? Worth every penny!! Another tip? The photographers are Disney employees (Cast Members) and are as kind as can be. They will take the photo with their big fancy camera and then will also take one with yours! Score! YOU can decide which is better and go from there! (For me, this photo right here was worth buying the Photo Pass package):
2. Bring a camera. Most folks have digital these days but a 35mm is just as acceptable. Just make sure you at least practice using it before taking it on vacation. And make sure at least one other person in your party knows how to use it, too, or you really won't ever be in any photos! And then use it. A lot.
3. Stock up. Make sure you remember batteries, chargers, camera cards, etc. These things can all be purchased in or around Disney but you better believe you'll be paying a premium for the convenience! I would also make sure to have a decent case and a Ziploc bag - it rains in Orlando, whether they show it in the commercials or not - and you want to protect your camera. Also works for your iPhone.
4. Photo Ops. Don't miss a photo op. There are a ton of people taking pictures in front of the big-ticket spots but there are plenty of other places and with Disney they are quite literally EVERYWHERE. There are hidden mickeys to be found, topiaries, and different angles of the same places.
5. Be creative. Don't be afraid to try something different. I happen to LOVE photos from behind. All 4 kiddos lined up looking at something wonderful is one of my favorites! (In this photo, the "something wonderful" is a duck. Maybe 2.):
6. Buy the photo. When in doubt, cough up the bucks. If you're having a once-in-a-lifetime experience, you'll be sorry if you don't. Disney is S-L-O-W-L-Y making all of their photo ops part of the photo pass experience but as of our last trip they weren't ALL part of it. If you experience a character meal and you can't put it on your photo pass, buy the photo. Just trust me. If you want to try to get something for nothing, you can try taking a snapshot of the photo posted on the monitors outside of the rides. It kinda works...(that's me and Baby Girl in the back row; Mr. MOTH and the boys are in front of us) (Note: if this had been available to put on our photo pass, I wouldn't have taken it with my camera):
7. Photo Preservation Supplies. There are a bunch of different types of photo albums for purchase in all of the gift shops. I usually buy one for just photos and then a scrapbook for me to put the best of the best in, along with pieces of memorabilia from the trip (confetti from Disney Junior, etc.). You can also order Disney scrapbook supplies on-line or from other merchandisers.
8. Kid-style. If possible, let the children take some photos from their perspective. This trip, two of our kids will have their own cameras (Youngest Boy and Baby Girl) and I'm excited to see what they deem important enough to photograph! Even if your child doesn't have their own camera, let them shoot one or two photos at each park with yours. It will be worth it!
9. Repeat performance. If you plan on returning to WDW, even if it's ten years from now, find a unique spot and take a photo of your kids on each trip. For us, it's the blue car at Hollywood Studios (formerly Disney-MGM) in front of the Sci-Fi Theater. Our last trip, the car was out for "refurbishment", so this plan isn't fool-proof (I was more than a little pissed). It makes for a great keepsake and a conversation about "remember when":
10. My final tip: TAKE THE PHOTO FOR OTHERS. If you see a mama taking a photo of her kids, offer to let her be in it. If you see a man taking a photo of his lady, offer to let him be in it. Trust me, they very, very rarely turn you down. True story: We were at the Magic Kingdom and everyone but Little One and me were riding Pirates of the Caribbean. She was dozing in the stroller so I was just kinda wandering around when I saw this drop-dead gorgeous couple and their little guy. The mama was trying to take a photo of the daddy and little boy. I offered to let her be in it (Splash Mountain was in the background) and she was really excited. I wanted to make sure to get the little guy's attention, so I asked his name. They were Italian, so his name was Italian - something like Salvetoregregoriamanelst. I looked at her for a beat and said, "Hey, sweetheart, look over here!" They both busted out laughing and I snapped the shot. It was perfect! Of course, it helps that they were super photogenic...
OK, Disney lovers, what am I missing?


1 comment:
Thanks so much for visiting me at Chatting Over Chocolate today! So glad to "meet" you! This Fall will be my 8th trip to WDW too ... sounds like we have much in common in our love for Disney! ;)
Since you're "no reply-comment blogger", I wanted to stop by and let you know that I replied to your comments today directly on those posts if you'd like to stop back by for those responses. ;)
Thanks for sharing a link to this post :) I love those snapshots from behind too, and also am a fan of the PhotoPass! :)
Have a fabulous 4th and happy trip planning!!
Post a Comment