Monday, May 6, 2013

Race Report

It's official:


I am a Runner of Steel!  Overall, the race was fantastic.  The weather was picture-perfect (especially after I purchased my new shades!) and I felt strong.  I decided to follow the 2:15 pace group - even though they started at least a minute or more in front of me - because I felt like my time should be faster than 2:15.  I finished ahead of the pacer...and my time was 2:15.53!  Not bad for a middle-aged mama of 4!!


That photo is several hours post-race (Mr. MOTH is NOT a picture taker...and he missed my finish - he started watching for me AFTER the pace lady went by and I was in front of her).

I walked in the door to a round of applause, which was pretty cool, and promptly had my medal handled by everyone in the house (my mom included).  We decided to weigh it because, dang, it was heavy!  10+ ounces!  Good thing they give it to you AFTER the race because it would most definitely have slowed me down.

I enjoyed every.single.minute of the run.  I went in knowing I was guaranteed a PR and I treated it as such. That's not to say that I didn't push a bit here and there but I was mostly taking it all in.  WHAT an experience!  The first 5-6 miles I ran behind some 6'6" dude wearing a Hulk t-shirt (he was my favorite runner).  At mile 8 I tweaked my foot (same one as before) so I babied it a bit but didn't slow down.  I kept waiting for the "huge hill" at mile 11-12...and I never noticed it.  I'm thinking my normal route - with it's two ginormous hills - must make the others look like a speed bump!  My favorite sign was a guy on the South Side holding one that said, "Hungover But Still Supportive!"  :)

Best thing I did was take a bus down.  I had a place to stash my gear and also pee/change after the race (although I opted not to change and wore my race shirt - complete with bib - and my medal out to brunch).  I also didn't have to fuss about parking or directions.  Although after the race I had no idea where I was or how to get back to the bus!  Thank goodness my husband knows his way around downtown!  I would still be hanging out at Point State Park!

Worst thing I did was not wear a long-sleeve tee under my running shirt.  I was really freakin' cold waiting for the start (official start was 7AM - my corral started running around 7:20 or so).   I was in corral "E" - which Mr. MOTH said must stand for "Everyone Else". ;)

I also want to say that my heart goes out to the family of Kyle Johnson who passed away during the half marathon at mile 12.  23 years old is too young.  May he rest in peace.

1 comment:

Rocket Ma'am said...

Congrats! Enjoy your moment and drag it out for a week, then start planning the next one!