Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Some Recipes

I've recently posted about some fantastic recipes that I've made (not "created") and it seems only fair that I share them here.  Besides, my mom left without taking a copy of the Amish Friendship Bread recipe and now she can just read it here.  Or HERE.

AMISH FRIENDSHIP BREAD WITHOUT A STARTER
Ingredients
Batter:
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups buttermilk or 2 cups milk plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice*
  • 4 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
Cinnamon Sugar
  • 2/3 cups sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon

Instructions
  1. For the batter cream together butter, sugar and eggs.
  2. Add milk, flour, and baking soda
  3. Divide 1/2 of the batter into two greased loaf pans
  4. Mix in separate bowl the 2/3 c sugar and cinnamon
  5. Sprinkle 3/4 of the cinnamon sugar on top of the batter in each pan
  6. Add remaining batter to pans; sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar on top of each
  7. Swirl with a knife
  8. Bake at 350 for 45-50 min. or until toothpick comes out clean when tested
  9. Cool in pan for 20 minutes before removing from the pan
I baked mine for more like an hour and it was just right.  This bread is more like a cake but it definitely beats the "squeeze bag daily" route of the typical Amish friendship bread.  In short, you don't need friends to make this bread. ;)  I made this specifically this weekend for our neighbors - one who had major surgery and one family who is (almost) moved in, so we didn't actually get to eat it but I got rave reviews! (We've had it before).

I found the recipe on Pinterest and there are approximately 4, 372 versions.  This is the one I use - basic, easy, and delish!

*I rarely have buttermilk but the substitution of milk + lemon juice seems to work just fine.

Next up is my mom's Apple Crisp recipe.  There's nowhere on the 'net where you can find this because it's been around since before the internet was invented *gasp*! 

Mom's Apple Crisp:

5 cups apples - peeled and chopped (I use Granny Smith)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Topping:

2 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup butter - cold

Place apples in bottom of greased 8x10 pan.  Combine white sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over apples.  Combing topping ingredients with a pastry blender and sprinkle over all, pressing down lightly.  Bake @350°F for 50 minutes or until lightly browned.  Serve warm with whipped topping or vanilla ice cream.

Please note:  None of these recipes will be kind to your waistline.  Or your hips.  But most definitely are kind to your tastebuds.  Now, go train for a half marathon so you can enjoy without guilt!

1 comment:

Amber said...

You can use vinegar (white or apple cider) instead of lemon juice to make buttermilk as well. Just make sure to let it sit for 5 minutes before adding it in.