Friday, March 4, 2011

Bor-ing!

So, this running thing is getting a bit boring. I'm still challenging myself regularly and my goal is to be able to run the 5K on May 8th at a 10-minute mile pace (Shut up! I'm old! Get off my lawn!). But I'm more than a little scared to run outside. I've never done it. Ever. Unless you count chasing the boys around playing squirrel tag or toilet tag or trying to keep them from running out on the road.

But the time has come. We're getting close(r) to spring and I know that eventually the temperature will be above freezing on a weekend (the only time I can figure out to go for a run so Mr. MOTH will be home with the kids). This weekend looked promising, except that it's going to rain buckets. {SIGH}.

I just don't know how to do it. Until I know that this is going to be a regular hobby and not just a one-time thing I don't want to invest in a runner's watch like this one because, frankly, it ain't cheap. And I am. How will I know how fast I'm running? Do I count steps? What about things like hills? And potholes? And wild animals? What? A lion could escape from the zoo, travel 65 miles, and hunt me down! Of course, that would increase my pace a bit!

I will do it. I can do it. I just keep playing my current motivational song:

Life is not tried it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire.
I can't abide standing outside the fire.
~Garth Brooks

The problem? On the first semi-warm, non-rainy weekend day Mr. MOTH is planning to build a fire. I just hope I don't have to run through it to run.



I have run the whole 3.1 miles in 36:20. I don't think I'll be last. I know I won't be first. But I will finish. I'm trying my feet at interval training to increase my speed but I'm flying running by the seat of my pants so I don't know if it will work. Where do beginning runners go to learn this crap?!?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jodie is right - running outside is so much different from the treadmill! Your pace will be different, and I am willing to bet that you will go faster and longer than you are able to go on the treadmill. Check out http://doctormama.blogspot.com/ - she has some great posts on running and on working through common issues that beginning runners have. Keep it up! I am so excited to hear how you do!

Anonymous said...

Hi The Mommy
I just dropped by to say hello and tell you that I will miss you at the Mckmama community. Apparently, I've been banned :( But at least I can follow your blog :) I just started running a few months ago. I hurt my ankle so i was off for a few weeks. Can you find a running buddy for outside running? You sound like you're doing great! Best, Pam T
my email is Ptuey24680@aol.com