Wednesday, February 23, 2011

TV Is NOT the Antichrist

We watch TV at our house. And by "we" I mean pretty much everyone but me. Sure, I try to watch Oprah at least twice a week depending on the subject, but I don't watch a single primetime show right now. (I know, sad, but I watched A LOT of TV when I was young and single so I'm calling this a wash).

But I'm pretty tired of folks without television in their house making others feel like somehow our parenting skills are lacking because our kids know who Jake and the Neverland Pirates are. I'm nearly certain that my kids learned to read by watching Super Why - not because I never tried to teach them but because it seems like they're NOT learning when they watch TV. They enjoy it, it hasn't stunted their growth, they're not obese (in fact, they're the opposite), they are doing very well in school, they have social skills and creative minds and are overall normal kids.

They don't watch anything during the evening on school days because they're too busy with other stuff (although we occasionally watch Sesame Street so I can make dinner without trying to juggle a boiling pot of water and a toddler at the same time). And after the boys watch something - anything - they run straight downstairs to the basement and re-enact it using Lego blocks. Every.time.

I respect people who don't let their kids watch television. I know for a fact that I can go an entire week without it (and I'll probably participate in the National TV Turnoff Week this year, too, April 18-24). I am just fed up with the moral superiority that people seem to project when they say, "Oh, we never watch television." You know what? Good for you. We do. And when my kids score higher than yours on the SAT you can sit there and scratch your head trying to figure out why.

End rant.

4 comments:

Tom said...

Yeah, some folks go a little whacko with their moral crusades. I'm not presently a fan of TV, but only because I'm still grieving the loss of Firefly. I don't intend to let my kids veg in front of it for hours on end, but I don't see the harm in using it as one of many activities.

Jodie (www.allgoodinmommyhood.com) said...

Amen Sista. I believe in everything in moderation. And TV has saved my sanity many a times when I needed a minute to relax, get cleaning done or talk on the phone in peace.

And my kids love to reenact too. My five year old sits and imagines with his pirate figures - and LOVES Jake and the Neverland Pirates.

Thanks for the tip on Celebration - can I tell you I always wanted to live there?? LOL! Too expensive but my dream town!

Jodie (www.allgoodinmommyhood.com) said...

Yikes! Mommy Body? I never heard those? Can't be good! Hope it doesn't change my desire to have her scream at me while I exercise?

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

We're all good with TV at my house too, though I am trying to cut back a bit. I've read several of your posts. Love your blog! Janae