Friday, February 11, 2011

My Counter Looks Like A Pharmacy

With 4 kids I suppose it was too crazy to think that we would make it through an entire month without needing some sort of medication.

Baby Girl had her 4 year(!) well-child check-up and because Youngest Boy complained of ear pain and had already done a breathing treatment I decided he should tag along. Just to make it fun, there was also a 2-hour school delay meaning I had to take Oldest Boy with us. Oh, and my grandmother was (supposedly - don't ask because I haven't gotten MY blood pressure down enough to talk about THAT fiasco) having surgery that morning. This meant I A)had 4 kids with me B)was already worked up before we even got in the door and C)had to be OUT of the door in about an hour.

Baby Girl is, indeed, 4 years old (41" and 36#8oz) and this doctor's office does booster shots at that age (the boys had them at 5). She was already "behind" on one series of shots because of a nation-wide shortage when she was 18 months old so I knew we would be getting that one. This office double-teams the kids and does TWO shots - one in each leg - at the same time. I am NOT a fan of this procedure but whatever. They wanted to give her 6 shots. At the same visit. Uh, no. We'll come back, thanks. She ended up with 3 this time (Hib, Prevnar, and HepA - this is for my benefit so I can look back and see what we did, sorry) and we'll fix her up with the rest when we take Little One for her 2-year check-up. They also gave us Viactiv for Calcium because my kids are weird and only one of them will drink milk. The others all eat yogurt but Baby Girl? She's got a mind of her own. She likes this "candy", though. ;)

Youngest Boy has an ear infection requiring antibiotics and was MOST DEFINITELY wheezing. They gave him a new asthma med (Xopenex) which we already use for Little One but just to make it interesting it's a different dose. They also gave him an inhaler thing and they had him do a hit of it at the office. On the way back from dropping Oldest Boy at school I thought he was going to pass out from choking so I nixed that and we haven't done it again (I hate to over-medicate and I know nothing about this drug - Asmanex).

And now Little One has the same cold requiring fever-reducing meds and her own version of Xopenex.

My counter looks like a pharmacy.

And Baby Girl is still limping - maybe for sympathy but maybe from actual pain.

3 comments:

Jodie (www.allgoodinmommyhood.com) said...

Man oh man have I been there. sometimes I'm glad when they're all sick at once...Get it out of the way. But it can be overwhelming and stressful at the same time!

Is it spring yet? Sending "get well wishes" your way!!

Anonymous said...

Oh man! When it rains, it pours, right?! M.aren had to get the Prevnar and the make-up Hib at her 4-Year Well Child as well . . . what a pain!

Rocket Ma'am said...

It seems like just last week that half my fridge was taken up with strep meds for all 5... oh wait, that WAS last week :o) It seems like when they sick, they are all sick and you can't remember them ever being well, doesn't it?

4 years and 41#s? Holy canole! My 6 1/2 yo is 37#s, we just had to put her on pediasure because all she eats is tomatoes, cheerios, fruit roll-ups, and apples. It seems like every day I find something else she won't eat, but since her list of will eats is all healthly stuff, I'm kind of at a loss.