Friday, December 3, 2010

Not In Their Vocabulary

Thanksgiving weekend provided us the opportunity to visit with Mr. MOTH's stepson who lives with his grandparents in another state. His mother (Mr. MOTH's ex) had to be incarcerated for unknown reasons (meaning we don't care enough to ask) and he wanted to hang out with us instead of at his great-grandmother's place (I don't blame him). He's 18 now but he still refers to Mr. MOTH as "Dad". I was worried how this would all go because our kids have never met him and we've never explained this part of their dad's past. There were a few moments of discomfort ("Why do you keep calling Daddy 'Dad'?") but for the most part the kids (especially the boys) really enjoyed having him here. They learned all sorts of new slang ("Dude" and "chill" are now staples of their conversations) and they played video games until I thought their eyes would bleed (something they NEVER do).

For me, the biggest eye-opener was when the stepson walked into our dining-room-which-is-still-the-toy-room, looked at the storage system filled to bursting with toys and said, "HOLY CRAP THAT'S A LOT OF TOYS! If I had that many toys I would never be bored!" I realized that never - not once - have I heard my kids say they were bored. Ever. Maybe they're too young, but they just never have. I felt guilty for how much we have compared to the life he has had to live (details are not mine to share). We are so incredibly blessed to have so much family willing to give our children gifts that our cup truly overflows - with love and with "things". I hope and pray that we are teaching our children which is more important to have.


2 comments:

Jodie (allgoodinmommyhood) said...

So many times we are reminded of how blessed we are...So glad you spent time with your Husband's stepson. :) I'm sure it was wonderful for the kids to be around him!
Hmmm...the pic on my post was from last christmas. I basically got them all dressed, sat them down, told Hubby to stand behind me, and the kids to look at me. Hubby was to make Moopa (our baby) smile. I told everyone - DO NOT LOOK AT ANYONE BUT ME! Dad is making Moopa laugh! And we got one. It was very very lucky!
Photo collages are lifesavers!

Anonymous said...

I too am glad you were able to spend some time with the stepson. I had to giggle at the confusion of the boys - growing up my sister thought that our 4 half-sisters were actually our cousins.

And I do the same thing as Jodie (or I line them all up on the floor and then stand over them and tickle them.) We start the day before Thanksgiving and take pictures everyday until I get 'the shot'. Will you promise not to hit me if I tell you we got it on Day 1 this year?