Saturday, November 6, 2010

Sometimes, I Forget

I mentioned that I've returned to my MOPS group and I'm really pleased about it. The ladies are fun and interesting, encouraging and inspiring. Mostly, I wanted to go so that Baby Girl could have some experience making friends. I normally take Little One to stay with Aunt Jo and Grandma E while we're at the meeting. This has worked out great because Little One gets an overabundance of attention while she's there and Baby Girl gets one-on-one mommy time.

However, this past week I had to take Little One along. I knew that there was no way I could leave her in the nursery with a stranger. She has never been with a stranger. It's not that I wouldn't (I trust the volunteers), it's just that she wouldn't - I don't think. So, I volunteered in the nursery for this meeting to pre-empt the inevitable meltdown.


It was the best thing I could have done. She had a good time (and I think contracted croup - but c'est la vie) but most importantly I remembered how much fun this age is. It's not that I don't play with her but usually I try to find stuff that at least the girls can do together with me, if not all 4 kids. While I was in the nursery, I got to play with 6 kids age 14-24 months. There was some fussing and some clinginess - but none of it was my daughter. She had a blast! And so did I! We all played and sang and danced and snacked and generally lost track of time. Since then I've been a lot more playful with just her. It was just the reminder that I needed!


And Baby Girl has really learned to make friends. Unfortunately, her best bud wasn't there this past week so her time there wasn't as enjoyable as it normally is. It's rough when your friend isn't there. But at least there was a craft!


Sorry, this picture just makes me smile. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun! I have finally started getting some one-on-one time with B.riar and am truly discovering how funny she is! I am so glad you had that time and that Baby Girl is able to have some time to make some new friends as well.

shannon said...

That picture made me smile, too.
Found you on blogfrog and your comments make me smile, so thought I'd hop over here. So glad I did. :)