We got married on October 6th, 2001...less than a month after the attacks on NYC and DC. To say that I had some reservations about flying would be the understatement of the century. But Mr. MOTH was bound and determined that no one - terrorists be damned - was going to ruin a trip to WDW. We arrived at the airport very early for our flight. If you remember, air travel was down but airport security was still on HIGH alert. This meant that the few people still crazy enough to fly had to wait even longer than they would on Thanksgiving weekend. We breezed through security (after removing all personal belongings, including shoes) and had some time to kill. We just happened to walk past one of the few places in the airport with a TV - a bar - just in time to read the headline "US troops arrive in Afghanistan". The war on terror had begun. People in the airport were cheering. But this isn't a political post, so we'll move along.
The flight down was uneventful (thank goodness) and for the first time we were staying on Disney property - the Wilderness Lodge. Just like all Disney accomodations, it was impressive. There's a themed pool, a themed restaurant, a themed dry goods store, you get the idea. And also in Disney spirit there was theme music. LOUD theme music. Music so loud that you could hear it everywhere...including our room. Did I mention that the music is never, ever OFF? Yeah. We were moved less than 20 minutes after check-in.
Our room was more than sufficient for newlyweds and our housekeeping even left us an awesome surprise - an angel made out of washcloths adorned with red, white, and blue accents. Perfect.
The return trip was, naturally, through Orlando Int'l and they have significantly more traffic than our local airport. And they hadn't quite figured out all of the kinks in getting that much traffic screened properly using the new and improved, high alert, standards. It was a looooong wait. I ended up getting wanded by a female security officer. She must have had her sensor set to super-sensitive (which I totally understand, but still) and she kept wanding over the middle of my chest and pushing really hard. I was on my honeymoon. And wearing a wonderbra. And I finally informed her that if she pressed any harder the girls were going to make the great escape. She let me pass...
Next up? Trip 3: With child
2 comments:
LOL! Great Escape! That was awesome.
Ha! I flew from Denver to L.A. when I was pregnant with C.ooper and was selected for "Secondary Screening". I went through the entire process, getting wanded in every possible way, and was putting my shoes back on and headed down the escalator when the TSS officer yelled after me, "M'am? Are you wearing a fanny pack?" I was so annoyed, I lifted my shirt up and shower her, as well as the rest of the airport, my 'fanny pack'.
Post a Comment