Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Can't Think of Title; Brain Has Malfunctioned

Holy Guacamole we have Too Much STUFF! We had too much stuff BEFORE Christmas, and now my system is on absolute overload! My kids are very blessed to have so many family members who buy for them at Christmas time. They scored some really sweet presents (my favorites are the Space Shuttles - because the boys got matching toys - and the Pittsburgh Penguins cheerleader outfit for Baby Girl - because it's so.darn.cute and because my mother always wants to know why hockey doesn't have cheerleaders;). Unfortunately, all of this extra stuff ended up costing us about a million dollars during our "organizing" trip to IKEA yesterday.

While we were picking out our Shiny! New! Storage! Oldest Boy yanked out a bin and managed to hit himself in the mouth...hard enough to knock out his first baby tooth! That's right, folks, my boy managed to have a monumental milestone take place on the showroom floor of IKEA, approximately 100 miles away from home. He was pretty stressed, but we left a note asking the Tooth Fairy to kindly leave the tooth behind and she obliged, along with $3 and a note back, both sprinkled with fairy dust (How lucky am I? I got to be Santa and the Tooth Fairy all in one week!!). Since then he has asked to count the money in his chore can approximately 47 times. I think he's trying to figure out how to get his brother to knock out his other teeth!

Now, I'm sitting here writing this while I patiently await the coveted nap time so that I can mop the kitchen and then purge! organize! clean! what used to be our dining room (the kids still call it that, but it's really our playroom - at least until the basement is finished).

Ah, yes. The basement. I've yet to post much about this undertaking for two reasons: 1) Mr. MOTH is doing most of the work and I have no idea what, exactly, is going on down there. He quit asking for my input after I suggested a full bathroom which essentially tripled his workload and 2) He's very sensitive about the time it is taking him. Truthfully, I don't care how long it's going to take, I just want to know when it's going to be finished. I'm not asking because I want him to hurry or anything, I just want to know that there's an end in sight. He's stubborn, though, and hates to ask for help. From anyone. Ever. He has a great brother-in-law who loves doing stuff like this (I think) but Mr. MOTH feels like he's bothering him. I say if it's going to cut down on down-time, LET HIM HELP! {SIGH} I'm working on my patience...maybe I should go add that to my list of New Year's Resolutions! Either way, the dry wall is almost completely up and then he's going to pay someone to do the finishing of it (taping and mudding, I think he called it?). That will be the first time he has had to pay someone else to do any work down there, which means he's saved us a bundle by doing it himself. It's great having a handy guy around!

**As a side note, everything was hunky-dory at my ultrasound yesterday. Unless you count the fact that Baby Girl pooped right in the middle and Mr. MOTH had to take her out to change her. The boys weren't exactly angels, but they did very well. It's all a matter of perspective. Also, the baby is currently breech, but it's early and they're not concerned.

1 comment:

Burgh Baby said...

I can think of no better place to lose a tooth than IKEA. ;-)