Monday, December 22, 2008

Holiday Madness and Memories

This year has been insane. I’m not even kidding when I say that at least one person has been sick every.single.day since the day after Thanksgiving. It’s CRAZY! Unfortunately, this is NOT the kind of Christmas Crazy that the Burgh Baby is talking about. I am so far behind in damn near everything it’s unreal. It is December 22nd at 4:36PM as I type this and not one stinkin’ gift is wrapped. NOT ONE! I just finished icing half of the sugar cookies (BTW, if you’ll be attending any Christmas event where you might have the opportunity to actually EAT one of my sugar cookies, be forewarned…Youngest Boy helped decorate. And he may or may not have licked the icing, sprinkles, or cookie itself. Just sayin’). I still have 2 other types of cookies that I'd like to make. Maybe.

I am trying desperately not to panic. And not to bite everyone’s head off. But I’d like to remind you that I’m also PREGNANT and therefore slightly hormonal (read: nuts). And I’ve been sick myself since last Monday. Disgustingly so. I just feel so…gross. Today I’m almost back to normal. My poor husband has taken to hiding in the basement (although he claims to LIKE working down there, but still). Ahh, memories.

And that brings me to the next portion…memories! What kind of memories would I like to create for my kids? Well, some of my fondest ones are of baking, so I’ve tried to involve them in that as much as possible. Tomorrow I will tackle the most difficult baking adventure that I dare to take on. The Red Cake. This may sound like your average every day cake, but besides being very tricky to master, it holds unbelievable memories for me and for the rest of my family (excluding my husband and children).

My Grams used to make this cake for special occasions. You could ask her to make it any time, but usually she only granted the request if it was your birthday. It’s a pain in the ass to make. But it is sooooo goooood. I’ve finally mastered the actual making of the cake (by making it once a year FOR MYSELF on MY birthday), so I decided to make it for Christmas Eve so that the rest of my extended family (her children and their spouses) could enjoy it as well. But, and here’s where I get daring, not only am I going to make the cake. I’m going to try making it a four-layer cake. That’s right folks. I bought a cake splitter and I’m going for broke. Lord help me.

2 comments:

Burgh Baby said...

Methinks the hormones are making you over-ambitious! Four layers? Really? You are brave for even thinking it. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Just today I was debating baking sugar cookies and the only reason I DID was because baking with my mom is the ONE holiday thing I remember more than anything. SO... Wynnie and I baked. We compromised by rolling the dough into balls instead of cut-outs, but we got it done. THEN... I made fudge. After the kids are in bed I'm going to go consume half the fudge.

The gifts in my house have only been wrapped for a day or so... and I told myself that was because I didn't want the kids poking around the packages.

Good luck!!