Five days a week I drive exactly 25 miles each way to pick Oldest Boy up from school. 20 of those miles are on an interstate. Through all of this recent highway driving, I've noticed that some (most) people don't know proper driving etiquette. Here, some rules by The Mommy:
Rule #1: Lane change. If you are going to switch from one lane to another, please use your turn signal. If you're unfamiliar with the concept, as most are, it's simple to find. Look at your steering wheel. To the left of the steering wheel, there's a little stick-like protrusion. Push it UP if you're moving right. Push it DOWN if you're moving left. And FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY if it stays on, TURN IT OFF!!
Rule #2: Speed maintenance. This is directly related to Rule #1. If you pass me and then pull directly in front of me (of course, without signalling), and then SLOW DOWN, do not be surprised when I return the favor. And if any poor soul should ever do this while Mr. MOTH is driving, beware! He usually attempts to run the offending driver off of the road.
Rule #3: Merging. When a vehicle is attempting to merge onto the highway, please move over into the other lane if you are able. This is just common courtesy. You simply check the lane next to you, signal, and MOVE. Simple, no? Then why in the heck can't people figure this out?!?!
Rule #4: Yield. A yield sign? Is NOT a stop sign!! If there is no traffic, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO STOP!!! sheesh. (By the way, Dad, those last two were for you *wink*)
Rule #5: Diabled vehicle etiquette. If your vehicle should become disabled while on the highway, please pull to the side of the road. Simply putting on your hazard lights is not enough. AND, if your vehicle happens to be an RV, do not (and this is important) pull over, set up the little awning on the side, open up your lawn chairs and pop the top on a cold one. This causes an undue amount of rubber-necking, presumably by people who want a good look at what a redneck looks like. I don't know why, as most people in this neck of the woods need only to look in the mirror to see one!
Rule #6: Tunnels. While I do not experience this particular phenomenon on my trip every day, I've seen it often enough to mention it here. A tunnel does not require that you SLAM ON YOUR BRAKES! There is no boogeyman waiting inside. It's not really even dark in there. There's nothing to be afraid of. MAINTAIN SPEED!
And now a special note to the state Department of Transportation: Why, pray tell, is it necessary to have traffic merge approximately 2 tenths of a mile before an exit, my exit? So I have to merge and then immediately exit. This makes no sense! Common sense, people! USE IT!
That's all I've got for now, but since I'll be making this drive frequently, I have a feeling I'll be adding to it.
2 comments:
PERFECT! I am actually dreading the coming months because even though I live in Colorado and we are no stranger to inclement weather, people here do not know how to drive in the rain and snow! Seriously - there are speeds between 25 mph and 55 mph that can be used when the roads are wet and slick!
Holy cow that was funny! I totally agree with all of these. Mr Hyphen absolutely WILL NOT allow anybody to merge in front of him, because he KNOWS beyond a doubt that they'll immediately slow down.
Post a Comment