Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Pumpkin Carving 2008

Let me start by saying that if this post tends to ramble a bit, you'll have to forgive me. Baby Girl was awake from 1 AM until 4:30 AM. Yes, that's right, three and a half hours. {SIGH}

Last night was pumpkin carving night in our household. The boys (mostly Oldest Boy) have been begging Mr. MOTH to carve the pumpkins since we bought them last Wednesday. Oldest Boy drew his design out that night and has been carrying it around and showing it to anyone old enough to use a knife, just in case.

My job is to clean the pumpkins, inside and out, and Mr. MOTH does the actual carving. It's not that I can't do it, it's just that I'm a tad accident prone and we both know that putting a sharp knife in my hands is not in the best interest of anyone. Fake blood is OK on Halloween. MY blood, not so much.

The boys don't really remember doing this before. For some reason, last year we never carved the pumpkins, so this was going to be a new experience for them. I carefully cut the top open and pulled the "lid" off and they both peered inside. And froze. I don't think it was exactly what they were expecting. I stuck my hand in to pull the yuck out and Oldest Boy said, "*gasp* And you're not a bit afraid!" Score! I finally impressed them with my bravery! Needless to say, they weren't much help in the cleaning out of the pumpkins...

They turned out well, if I do say so myself:

And, because you'd be hard-pressed to identify them in their get-ups even if you know them, a photo of Darth Vader and Jango Fett (Tinkerbell is a little harder to disguise - plus she hates her costume - so you'll have to wait on that one):

2 comments:

beanski said...

Cute :)

We're going to ATTEMPT the pumpkins this week. Right after we ATTEMPT to get her into her costume without losing her mind for the 12th time.

Anonymous said...

That is EXACTLY how pumpkin carving goes at our house! Hubby winces everytime I have a knife in my hand. Can't wait to see Miss Tinkerbell - I bet she is going to be adorable! The boys look so grown-up in their costumes - the whole mask thing seems like such a sign of maturity to me!