On Wednesday, Oldest Boy got in the space shuttle after school and said, "Jacob is going to bring me a dollar tomorrow!" Now, Jacob is his best friend. They've been buds since the beginning and it's too cute. They write notes back and forth and make each other little gifts. But, the dollar thing bothered me, so I asked why. "Because we both want a Smencil. And they each cost $1, so he's going to bring me $1. Wrong. I explained that if he wanted something that costs money, he should simply let me know and we would either say yes or no. You should NOT ask your best bud for funds. And? If you're wondering what a Smencil is, it's a "gourmet-scented pencil".
So Thursday morning I sent him to school with $2. His instructions were: If Jacob brings you a dollar, then you can each get two Smencils. If Jacob brings only $1 for himself, he can get his own and you can get one for yourself and maybe buy one for someone else who doesn't have one. If Jacob brings no money, you should buy yourself one and buy Jacob one.
This seemed like a lot for my little 5-year-old to process, so we went over it a couple of times. He came home with (drum roll please): ONE Smencil. YEAH! He bought himself one and he bought one for his best bud. I couldn't be more proud! He did the right thing without me standing there making him do it!!! Maybe I'm not a complete failure at this mommy thing after all! And in case you're wondering, they both got chocolate flavor which smells like chocolate-flavored poo. Not worth $1, but it's for a good cause. I wasn't going to complain. I am raising a sweet, sweet boy.
1 comment:
Awe, that is so sweet! I'm not sure I'd have trusted my 5 year-old with $2 at school. I guess I have a long way to go on this whole Mothering thing.
Post a Comment