Saturday, July 20, 2013

Swimming Lessons

So, my boys learned to swim.  They took a 2-week learn-to-swim course at the (sorta) local Y.  As a matter of fact, it's the same Y that I learned to swim at (and by "learned to swim" I mean "fall in the water and not drown").  It was quite an experience.  Let's just say, this pushed them VERY, VERY far out of their comfort zone.  Day 1-3 was spent entirely in the shallow learning to kick their feet and blow bubbles.  And then came the deep end.
 
This was SO traumatic!
 
They were scared. 
 
There were tears. 
 
And fears. 
 
And generally pouting. 
 
But they did it.
 
Day after day.
 
Until they could swim the length of the pool.
 
Without float belts.
 
I am unbelievably proud.
 
But more than anything, I'm proud of the fact that once they overcame THEIR fears, they helped the little guy in their class who sobbed himself sick for 3 or 4 days in a row.  I'd rather have them be great people than great swimmers.  They're well on their way.
 
 
This is my favorite photo of them. 
The other little boy you see was the one they befriended


 
This one was taken during "boat safety"
 
Floating on your back is, apparently, the hardest for the kids


No comments: