Monday, July 29, 2013

Charlotte's Web

Charlotte's Web.  If you can believe it, I never read it. 
 
I've still never read it.
 
Instead, Baby Girl read it TO me.
 
We just finished the book last night.  It took us MONTHS to read, a little at a time before bedtime and the occasional chapter or two during the day once summer vacation started, but we finished it.  And she read the entire thing to me.  I am really proud of her!  I think for a not-quite-first-grader that's an impressive feat. 
 
She loved doing it, too, which makes a huge difference.  Getting Oldest Boy to read to us in first and second grade was like pulling teeth (in third grade he discovered Harry Potter and hasn't stopped reading since).  Youngest Boy was eager to read as well, but his interest has waned over the years, especially since he feels cheated out of playtime with his brother when he's really into a good book.
 
Our problem now:  What should she read next?  I've heard Rocket Ma'am suggest The Ordinary Princess.  I've even bought a few of the Boxcar Children books.  I'm just not sure!  Believe me, this is a fantastic problem to have!
 

1 comment:

Rocket Ma'am said...

Ordinary Princess is good, but it has lots of big big words. How about Beverly Cleary's "Socks"? If you want the boys sneaking in to listen, try Roald Dahl's "The Twits."