Thursday, March 29, 2012

What's A Bunny To Do?

I mentioned several weeks ago that Youngest Boy has been having some belly issues. While we still don't have any answers (although we DO have a nice bill from the hospital) we mostly suspect that chocolate is his problem. I don't want to call it an allergy but it definitely does something to his delicate system. We see a specialist the day after Easter (mental note: call Aunt Jo - the other kids are all off that day) and I'm hoping she won't order any more seemingly unnecessary tests but I'm willing to trust her.



Easter is coming up FAST. I absolutely ADORE Easter. It's easily my favorite holiday - spiritually, emotionally, decorationally (is that a word?), tastefully it's just my all around favorite. I give up sweets for Lent (although this might be the last year for THAT) so around the day after Ash Wednesday I start dreaming about what I'm going to bake for Easter morning - cinnamon rolls, mini raspberry cheesecakes, fudge, butter cookies, sunflower cake (a yellow cake iced with chocolate frosting - put yellow peeps around the outside and fill in the middle with chocolate chips!), peanut butter Easter eggs, white chocolate Easter eggs - I get so excited! And of course, I get to be The Bunny.



Around here, The Bunny is pretty cheap. The baskets are filled to bursting with grass...and there's some candy and eggs in there somewhere. There's always a book (because we love to read and so do they) and usually some small toy or art supply, depending on the kid. I'm a little annoyed at how every store that sells toys is showing you some "must-have" Easter basket loot. Um, no. That ain't what Easter's about. And in our house, it never will be. Christmas - fine, although I still fight the good fight on that, too. But Easter is a CHRISTIAN holiday - the ultimate one in my humble opinion - and I refuse to cave.



Of course, this year The Bunny is stumped as to what to put in the baskets in the way of candy. Youngest Boy clearly can't have a chocolate bunny. Or chocolate eggs. Or chocolate...anything. He hates peanut butter. And I don't know if he likes jelly beans (What? I have a choking phobia, remember? We've never had them). He does love marshmallows, so even though he's never had peeps I'm hoping he'll LOVE them so much he won't care that they might be the only sweet in his basket. I'm preparing myself to overcompensate. {SIGH} Poor guy.

1 comment:

marybob143@aol.com said...

Yes!!! Easter is that way at our house, too!!! Just the candy, ma'am!!!! It's a toss up for me & Christmas...you have, however, inspired me to think bigger for next Easter!!! I should bake more & decorate more...